Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
Nyctimene

Orion's collarbone

Was out this morning for half an hour under sub-average 5.0 mag skies, that gradually fogged up. The 5.1" Heritage with the 26 mmf 62° showed M 42 with less extended "wings"; so I went over to the reflection nebula M 78 and glimpsed it's two embedded "headlight" stars. A search for the Flame nebula didn't show a trace of it. I steered northward and enjoyed the look at Cr 69, the loose star group around Meissa. In the same field of view, I could make out the two 7.5/8.0 stars, that point to the planetary NGC 2022, the Collarbone nebula. Switching to the Seben zoom/Baader 2.25x combo, but without the UHC (somewhere squirreled away atm), I was astonished, that this 11.7 mag object, despite the worsening transparency, revealed itself as a slightly oblong, otherwise featureless disc, sometimes with direct vision, almost steadily to hold with AV, at mags of 130-150x. The rather high surface brightness of 9.2 mag was helpful, as were the foregoing observations with larger scopes; so I finished at 03.10 MEZ, pleased having spotted it with just the incredibly capable 5.1" Heritage. Well worth a try; and rather easy to find (1/3 the way from Meissa to Beteigeuze).

Thanks for reading

Stephan

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1