Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

Vox45

First go at M42 - Quite a challenge to process

So I had my first go at M42, it was quite difficult to process. I used DSS for the 1st picture and Pixinsight for the the second one. I prefer the second one but I find it a lot more noisy and blueish .. After a couple of hours playing around I tend to lose track of what is good or overprocessed.. I need your fresh eyes people :) 

Please, any constructive criticism is welcome as I have not a lot of experience processing deep sky images :)

Processed with DSS

M42.jpg.fbc25266a372b755ed7339f601829dae.jpg

Procesed with Pixinsight

M42_Pix.jpg.6ad34c447c6fac2a170dd95b9b7fd5f8.jpg

Thanks!

• Like 8

DSS is usually just for stacking your images, Pixinsight or Photoshop is for processing them (in general!!)#

Good images both!!

Ron

I agree about DSS. In fact I'm surprised the DSS image is as good as it is. 

I think both images are pretty good which suggests the raw data is good. How many subs did you take? I assume this is DSLR data. 

M42 is tricky because it's got a very bright core and then lots of interesting but fainter nebulosity around it. It's difficult to pull up the fainter stuff without blowing out the core. I have recently been working through the book Inside Pixinsight by Warren Keller which walks the reader through use of masks and other processes to pull out the detail. I recommend it if you've not got it. 

Background and nebula rendition from DSS version and color saturation from PI version :D - that would be a good combo I believe

2 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

M42 is tricky because it's got a very bright core and then lots of interesting but fainter nebulosity around it.

How true.

I like both images :)

I like the DSS a image  stars look better , and you could increase the colour in Photoshop if you wanted to .  nice job 👍

Edited by Brian28
  • Like 1