Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M1, Crab nebula

jetstream

Another quick report from the other night using the 24" dob under dark skies.

M1 has always been a bit of ho hum object to observe for me, easy to see but detail lacking- until the other night. Flipping back and forth from no filter, UHC OIII revealed a startling difference- with the OIII. The UHC enhanced its "brightness" but no real structure seen. Going to the OIII I was shocked- a large "spike" of nebulosity appeared along with a shorter attached spur. There was also some intermittent finer detail in the body.

I was far from optimized on this object- using 8.7mm EP- I think a hair lower mag will preserve the spikes and brighten it up so to speak.

All I know is this is now a goto object for me and once the 17.3 Delos and Docter 12.5mm adapter issues are solved I think there's more to come. M1 is well worth spending time on IMHO and I cant wait to get on M97, the Owl nebula with this telescope.

• Like 11

For ages I never bothered looking at M1 because of its constant disappointment. 

One session at SWSP it was incredible almost photographic!...so much detail with filaments galore!!!. Mind you that was the infamous 21E Vs Nag 31 night 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, estwing said:

For ages I never bothered looking at M1 because of its constant disappointment. 

One session at SWSP it was incredible almost photographic!...so much detail with filaments galore!!!. Mind you that was the infamous 21E Vs Nag 31 night 😂

I'm re visiting many objects with the larger dob and finding some nice surprises doing so. I like seeing faint objects but like viewing brighter ones with detail more. NGC 891 was really rewarding to see and the Swan nebula was incredible.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mdstuart said:

Yes but now I am used to the 20 inch and have a go with my 127mm mak it feels like using a toy scope..

Mark

The more observations and opinions on these objects the better. Some seem unique in their wants ie the filaments in the Eskimo disappear (my eyes) with a filter and yet these filters are supposed to be optically good.  One of the very best views of the Eskimo was with the 15"/Docter UWA/VIP under superb transparency and seeing- a sight that will never be forgotten.

I'm very interested in your reports with the 20" Mark.

• Like 1