Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A very basic session...

mark81

I haven't viewed the Moon for about a year now - I do have a interest in it but I dont really have the equipment to get right up close and really study the features as many members do, so successfully.... But, with some spare time on my hands and some enthusiasm I grabbed the 80mm f5 and headed out with the idea of doing some very basic viewing.

I picked out Mare Crisium first of all and bumped up the mag to x66 and was struck by the brilliant white impact crater Proclus >18km wide and created from a meteor flying at a very low angle < you learn something every day..... The whole area around this is very bright and then Palus Somni (which I believe is some sort of Mare?) leaks into it and creates this quite interesting colour contrast (I do realise that most of this is old news to you but...)

Moving round from Proclus was the small but seemingly deep crater Macrobius and then a little further the much bigger but what appears to be much more shallow Cleomedes.

I was tempted to carry on further round as other craters and features caught my eye but I thought I would review these objects online and make some notes on my Moon map and let it sink in....

A very basic but enjoyable session - something I will certainly be doing a bit more of in the future...

Thanks for reading

Mark 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

Nice report Mark - the Moon always has treasures to reveal once you start looking around.  I too have enjoyed viewing fine detail in Cleomedes recently.

Doug.

Doug, can I ask, what mags you were using to see actual detail in this crater?  Obviously out of range for me at the moment,  but maybe something to consider for the future ....

Thanks

Edited by mark81
  • Like 1

@mark81 the Moon can take some pretty high magnifications but - with a nod to aperture - to what degree will more often depend on your seeing conditions. When the conditions are good, one can easily go over the typical x200 frontline but during the last few months, for example, I can only count the number of times I've done that on one hand.

Personally, I'm not really a fan of pushing magnifications to extremes (+0.6mm exit pupil). With the Moon I tend to find myself increasing the magnification until I feel that either I'm not gaining anything more from the image or upsetting the pretty 'eyepiece-landscape' I have in view. These magnifications are different from night to night.

Again, although not essential, I've also found binoviewers on the Moon are a nice addition. If 'tuned' correctly they can be very relaxing to use and do offer a lovely, almost 3D visual experience.  

• Thanks 1

Even the simple ones are worthwhile Mark, nice observations. Best to keep the mag within sensible limits for the scope, there is still plenty to see and it is nicer with a sharp image.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Even the simple ones are worthwhile Mark, nice observations. Best to keep the mag within sensible limits for the scope, there is still plenty to see and it is nicer with a sharp image.

Agreed Stu. Plenty to see and enjoy, which I will...

But, like most of us, I daydream about 'which scope to get next' or even 'which scopes' to get next'..

Maybe a nice MAK has made it onto the list 🤔

Mark - the link shows details for Cleomedes (click on title).  Basically, x102 showed the three craterlets (bottom one smallest) across the floor and a dark (at the time) pair at the top.  On another occasion and using x160, a further little crater showed up near the southern rim, making six in all.  I did take it to over x200, but seeing effects kicked in by then.  

An 80mm f/5 'scope could give you x160, say with a 5mm EP and x2 Barlow.  A 3mm EP on its own would take you close for that detail, depending on seeing.

Doug.

• Thanks 1