Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ASI294 MC Pro or ASI 2600 MC Pro / QHY268C

smr

Looking good Richard, thinking I need a dedicated camera for the SharpStar 150 2.8 HNT looks like this might fit the bill, don't suppose collimation etc will be any easier than the Epsilon so ordered a HG laser collimator and fast scope adapter thingy.

May try the Atik 4000OSC in the meantime, big pixels but nice square sensor.

ATB

Dave

4 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Looking good Richard, thinking I need a dedicated camera for the SharpStar 150 2.8 HNT looks like this might fit the bill, don't suppose collimation etc will be any easier than the Epsilon so ordered a HG laser collimator and fast scope adapter thingy.

May try the Atik 4000OSC in the meantime, big pixels but nice square sensor.

ATB

Dave

Thanks Dave. The resolution on this camera is great, much better than my 071. Time will tell if it was a worthwhile upgrade. I imagine it would pair very well with that Sharpstar, beautiful looking instrument btw. Any first light for us yet?

Richard.

7 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

Any first light for us yet?

Took a few snaps of M42 with DSLR, bit of coma and really bad stars in one corner, focuser has got tilt adjuster but won't start messing with it until the collimator arrives, should be fun as only ever collimated my SCT before, just a five minute job 😂

Dave

• Like 1

It looks like im going to be selling my ASI294mc Pro this 2600 is going to be one for the Astronomy history books the ASI294mc Pro made history as putting

an end to DSLR and bringing in the masses with low budget cooled CCD this 2600 has it all everything no Amp glow large chip 16 bit its a Beast.

On 18/01/2020 at 20:53, Michael Hogan said:

It looks like im going to be selling my ASI294mc Pro this 2600 is going to be one for the Astronomy history books the ASI294mc Pro made history as putting

an end to DSLR and bringing in the masses with low budget cooled CCD this 2600 has it all everything no Amp glow large chip 16 bit its a Beast.

Honestly don't think that the 294 ended the use of DSLRs in astro-photography. You can pick up a used DSLR and modify it for well under 200 pounds that is significantly cheaper than a 294. 

3 hours ago, Adam J said:

Honestly don't think that the 294 ended the use of DSLRs in astro-photography. You can pick up a used DSLR and modify it for well under 200 pounds that is significantly cheaper than a 294. 

Of course its cheaper but are the images better everyone knows the answer NO on every astronomy forum on facebook ASI Altair Astro etc pages all you see is people

showing their new off their new ASI183MC-Pro or ASI533MC-Pro or ASI294MC-Pro all are coming from DSLR cameras like down below all said they wont go back after

seeing the difference.

5 hours ago, Adam J said:

Trevor never went back he only uses DSLR with travel scopes or when he go,s on holiday

13 hours ago, Michael Hogan said:

Trevor never went back he only uses DSLR with travel scopes or when he go,s on holiday

He is a advertiser, he plugs all the equipment he is given in exchange for sponsorship money or for keeping the equipment. As such I would take everything he says with a very large pinch of salt.  

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 4

On 21/01/2020 at 10:21, Adam J said:

He is a advertiser, he plugs all the equipment he is given in exchange for sponsorship money or for keeping the equipment. As such I would take everything he says with a very large pinch of salt.  

And the other two little guys are they advertisers too one with 646 subscribers and the other with 4.55K subscribers and the thousands of others

DSLR are a thing of the past in Astronomy no matter how much they try to spice it up im not saying you cant take nice images with them but they

are much harder to get that image for me and many many others colour mottle and noise is just too much to bair ''He is a advertiser'' what about now 😂

On 22/01/2020 at 21:02, Michael Hogan said:

And the other two little guys are they advertisers too one with 646 subscribers and the other with 4.55K subscribers and the thousands of others

DSLR are a thing of the past in Astronomy no matter how much they try to spice it up im not saying you cant take nice images with them but they

are much harder to get that image for me and many many others colour mottle and noise is just too much to bair ''He is a advertiser'' what about now 😂

I literally have no idea what point you are trying to make? Or who the other two little guys are that you are talking about. 

No one should purchase a new DSLR from astrophotography, but I guarantee you that more people are using DSLRs for astrophotography than dedicated cameras, that is because a second hand DSLR or one you already own for terrestrial photography is the cheapest possible way into the hobby. Easily saving you 700 pounds over the 294c. Not all peoples have the cash to everything at once when they start out so buying a used DSLR is what they do. That is the market position that a DSLR has always occupied and the 294c does not change that. 

Astro backyard is a channel based around advertisement, look at his recent video he puts a hyperstar onto a scope and says it's for galaxy imaging. That's a terrible idea, he does it purely because he has been sponsored to plug the hyperstar. If you want to watch someone more informative then try out Chucks Astrophotography. 

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...
5 hours ago, Northernlight said:

Mono version coming before the end of the year. confirmed by QHY via email.

uc?id=10BMfgxx12nFXbMqMWrmlHjyq9muhxZwu

Yes but is it a real mono sensor or a debayered OSC sensor? Because one thing is 100% sure and that's as I am writing this Sony do not list a mono version on their web page. 

Hi Adam, 

I really don't know the answer to that question and i'm guessing QHY wouldn't tell us.  My gut feeling is that they  would be unlikely to be debayering OSC sensors, as this in an extra step in the manufacturing process which costs money and i imagine there must be some risk involved in the process. 

It could be that Sony may update their sensor list close to the release date of any mono chips. - who knows.

On 23/07/2020 at 12:11, Northernlight said:

My gut feeling is that they  would be unlikely to be debayering OSC sensors, as this in an extra step in the manufacturing process which costs money and i imagine there must be some risk involved in the process. 

I hope it's a new sensor as then Zwo will do a version, however they've already responded by saying they don't have any plans as Sony don't have a mono version of the imx571 sensor. I would imagine though that if it were a debayered sensor then the cost would increase yet the mono version seems to be the same.