SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cant get a decent flat image from my lightbox

My setup is a ZWO ASI1600 mono with the ZWO filters and a ZS73 scope. I made a light box with some CCFL tunes in a box with translucent plastic to diffuse the light. To my eye it all looks nice and even, I also put a couple of layers of white pillowcase over the scope as well to further diffuse it. The problem I have is shown below in one of the sample flat images, I always seem to get a donut in the centre of the screen, no matter what filter I use. Any ideas, workarounds?

20191202_202832.jpg

20191202_202838.jpg

Just set the filter to clear and still have the same issue - I don't think its the camera as I don't see this problem in subs just flats.  Its also not related to short exposures as even with the Ha filter and 3 min subs to get a decent signal I still see it.

Does the FITs header tell you the gain and offset Craig? If so compare these with your lights.

I know you were using SGPs flats wizard, have you tried shooting a flat as a light? Just thinking the flats wizard might be not shooting at the same gain and offset, or somehow seeing something else up.

I have a similar setup at the moment - ASI1600 + filter wheel + ZS71. I imaged on Sunday night and took flats on Monday morning around 10am (still about freezing). My flats looked just like yours with a big dark circle in the middle. However my issue was condensation - either on the ASI1600 window or the rear of the Ha filter. I got a hairdryer to warm up the filter wheel/top of the camera, set the camera to expose for 1s continuously and watched the dark area disappear! Got perfect flats after I let it all stabilise for a few minutes.

What was the temperature when you were taking your flats?

John

-20 - the camera was up and running for around 20mins, I did think that but could not see anything and why would I not see that when imaging?  Its a possibility though, especially as you had the same issue.