Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eskimo nebula

jetstream

A quick report on one of my favorite objects, the Eskimo nebula, NGC 2392.

This object takes mag well and filters can enhance brightness, however the fine radial filaments tend to disappear when using them. Last night in the 24"/PCII/10Delos this exactly happened. With no filter those fantastic filaments in green appeared as well as a new to me feature- a bright green,not quite round inner ring was observed around the central star.  It also had a couple of shades of green now.

I need to get the 8mm Delos for more mag, 287x was just not quite enough. A great view but there is more there. The UHC/OIII killed the filaments and inner ring oddly, not sure why.

This object is a showpiece, gift of the sky IMHO and well worth spending time on. Many scopes do a really great job showing it, try upping the mag and with no filter.

NGC 891 showed as a bright edge on galaxy with a massive dust lane cut through it, again at 287x @ 2mm exit pupil, but I like more eye illumination, next time I'll try lower mag on it, maybe a 15mm effective fl eyepiece.

So much to see out there.

• Like 10

Nice read Gerry.

The Eskimo appears more blue green to my eyes with the outer showing slight detail. I don't often use much more mag on it as I'm always flitting  by it to look at something else.

NGC891 is one of my favourites and on a crisp transparent night it floats and glistens in the inky black . The dust lane really stands out contrasting well against the core stars. Stunning on a good night.

• Like 2