SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Processing artifact

I thought some of you might be interested in seeing an odd looking artifact in one of my recent images of the bubble nebula (see below). 

At first, I thought this was due to incorrect settings within Pixinsight's Winzorised stacking algorithm. However, on examining the individual subs everything was OK - no artifact, just a star.  On closer examination of the individual subs,  I noticed that the star sometimes appeared clearly and sometimes appeared hardly at all.  So, I decided to see if the free ware program Aladin (https://aladin.u-strasbg.fr/ ) could identify the star. Plate solving the object in Pixinsight allowed me to locate the RA and DEC co-ordinates of the artifact (23 20 43.535, +61 14 43.54), after typing these into Aladin it turns out to be the variable star V*MOCas of Mira Cet type.  Since I gathered the data over many months, I presume the star was varying over this period and hence confusing the stacking algorithm and creating the artifact.

Alan

temp_artificat.jpg.c8d8c3317b4d80ca75bfa1059cb7c149.jpg

• Like 3