Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Littleguy80

Mars and Mercury at dawn

After two previous mornings of waking up early to see nothing but cloud, it was third time lucky as I woke up to, mostly, clear skies. It was quite hazy but didn’t take me long to find Mars. The small but distinct orange disc was pleasing. I kept checking the horizon, waiting for the tiny planet to appear. As Mars faded behind a small patch of cloud, I spotted a bright point appearing above the trees. “There it is” I told the purring cat at my feet. She seemed pleased for me. Still too low for the telescope, so l passed a few minutes splitting Izar. The seeing was poor but the gold and blue pair kept me entertained. Mars returned to full brightness so l moved back to it. Even with the unsteady view, I thought there was a brightening at the top of the planet, possibly an ice cap. Nothing definitive. Mercury seemed to be rocketing up now. Turning the telescope onto Mercury, it was noticeable how much bigger the disc was compared to Mars. The poor seeing prevented any real detail showing through. I happily followed its rise up the dawn sky while the dog walkers eyed me suspiciously. The view settled enough for some nice views of a golden disc at lower powers. The cold and cloud suggested it was time to retreat indoors. A final look through the bay window was surprisingly good. The brightly little planet slowly faded behind the cloud. Monday mornings aren’t so bad. 50AADDE5-7678-48CD-A015-B73340D08885.thumb.jpeg.37764e3cd5bf1c6f573b718d7c1a05d4.jpeg

• Like 8

Great start to the day Neil.  And the cat seems to be sharing your enthusiasm!  😉

Doug.

• Thanks 1

Nicely done Sir!

I spotted what I assumed was Mercury just before 7am this morning. I looked for Mars but couldn't see it, I guess the sky was too bright.

What time were you observing?

Stu

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Great start to the day Neil.  And the cat seems to be sharing your enthusiasm!  😉

Doug.

Thanks Doug. I’m sure it was Mercury and not her breakfast that she was interested in 😉

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Stu said:

Nicely done Sir!

I spotted what I assumed was Mercury just before 7am this morning. I looked for Mars but couldn't see it, I guess the sky was too bright.

What time were you observing?

Stu

Thanks Stu. I was up at 6am. I could see Mercury until a little after 7am so I’m sure that’ll be what you saw :)  

• Thanks 1

Good stuff Neil, had the same experience here, been getting up at 6 o'clock the last few days to try and catch Mercury as it pops above the horizon before the Sun and finally  managed it this morning, bit knackered now as I've been up most of the last couple of nights imaging.

Dave 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

Good stuff Neil, had the same experience here, been getting up at 6 o'clock the last few days to try and catch Mercury as it pops above the horizon before the Sun and finally  managed it this morning, bit knackered now as I've been up most of the last couple of nights imaging.

Dave 

Glad you saw them, Dave. That's the trouble with this dodgy British weather, you've got to make the most of it when the skies are clear.

• Like 1