Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which telescope for 15 yr old son

ok just an update i hit the cancel button on amazon celestron 76mm first scope.

since i got a price on the meade light bridge 114 mini dob $175 tax and shipping brought it up to $215 cdn remember that's Canadian so USA would be $162 and Ik is $132 SHIPPED  and TAX included. they are giving me a final price tho on SW 130mm heritage so depending on whats the final price here if its too much ill stick to the meade since its parabolic includes a finder and better eps than the celestron firscope. i didn't relize the firscope wasn't a parabolic mirror being f4 and spherical and no finderscope and hygens ep i decided no.

so if its the meads that be a much better scope to test then i thought maybe i do a barska 70mm f/5.7 refractor also on the table top mount comes with finder and looks like 1.25 ep (maybe the cheap ones) but was only $74 only $13 more then the firstscope. in USA that's $56 and in UK that's $45

so hopfully that's works better as 2 entry scopes for people 1 each type

also hope i didn't hijack the tread too much but maybe new people reading can get good info from us here whats decent start if you have a budject of $40 to $99 that's ok 

joejaguar

• Like 1

I got this Barska 70mm f/4.3 achromat recently, but ultimately as a finder, I'm hopeful, for my blind-as-a-bat f/15 Maksutov with a 1900mm focal-length...

achromat4b.jpg.904d1168bdc169ab0d6740cc81dc2e0a.jpg

Needless to say, a kit like that should never be considered by those first starting out, nor that Barska 70/400 so much.  Although it is almost at f/6, but still no cigar. 

Hi @Jenova and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

I agree with what some SGL'ers above had said. I would recommend a dobsonian to start with... 

ETX's are good optically, but they tend to eat batteries, (more so when it is cold). If using Ni-Cd or Ni-MH rechargeable batteries, they have an output of 1.2V as opposed to alkaline batteries that have an output of 1.5V. One of the let downs on the ETX range years ago was the drive mechanics. Whether they have updated since, I do not know. I have an earlier generation ETX105, (had the backend 're-modded' after an incident at star party), and use it on an Alt-Az or EQ mount. Any Maksutov or SCT will dew up and you would need to purchase a dew-shield. Another downside with any Mak or SCT is that the field of view is rather narrow compared to that of a refractor or reflector.

PIC021.JPG.317e3ab5bc2a32848d576782c9caf3ab.JPG

My 're-modded' ETX105, (c/w SCT 2" star diagonal), mounted an EQ mount.

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Alan64 said:

I got this Barska 70mm f/4.3 achromat recently, but ultimately as a finder, I'm hopeful, for my blind-as-a-bat f/15 Maksutov with a 1900mm focal-length...

achromat4b.jpg.904d1168bdc169ab0d6740cc81dc2e0a.jpg

Needless to say, a kit like that should never be considered by those first starting out, nor that Barska 70/400 so much.  Although it is almost at f/6, but still no cigar. 

well the problem alan people will buy telescopes in the $40 to $99 range by the hundreds regarless if we say not to on these forums. we see those toy telescope for sale all the time on the used markets. we have to remember when we started out and didn't want to spend or maybe couldn't spend a lot on something we didn't know we would like. there are some cheaper scopes under $99 out there that are not the best BUt enough to get someone interested in the beginging, where then they will get something better.

we cant just say if you cant spend this  amount $$ then don't get into the hobby.

I mean myself for instance I don't buy expensive cell phones. I only get the free cell phones that I get free from my company every 2 years. if my cell breaks b4 that I buy a $99 phone or less. right now I got a galaxy3 which to some people is acient, but I don't care for me that's enough its to text and talk only. I don't use my phone for apps or internet nor do I consider a phone a tablet or a computer.

I would say a HUGE amount of people buy the latest cell phone ranging from $700 to $900 every year. they may look at me and think iam cheap or iam outdated but to me that not important.

I have cars that most people would be jeoulous 2 jaguars and a Porsche I would never say if you cant afford a Porsche don't even think of buying a car.

anyway cheers

joejaguar

I am currently in a conflagration with a friend about buying his first scope. He, by no means is a fifteen year old, but may know less than a knowledgable 15 year old with guidance.

My friend is going to save for a couple of years to buy a ten inch Dob, (Bresser Messier) fine scope but for the next two years he is not star gazing!

I put it to him, that buying a 130p heritage means he gets to start seeing star clusters, globular and open, some galaxies, a few planetary nebular, let alone some planets and our moon for not a lot of out lay. Learn the sky and train his eyes for what is out there.

The other important point is he can have this ‘little scope’ for a year or two until the Bresser arrives, then either pass the 130 to a youngster eager to learn (they are the future) or keep it for an opportune travel scope in the boot of the car.

As far as I am concerned there is no difference between a 15 year old beginner and a 32 year old beginner except the wallet and the eyesight.

Marvin

• Like 1

7 hours ago, joe aguiar said:

i just ordered 2 of those mini dobs for my youtube channel to test since christams is right around the corner, the 1st one should come by fri just intime for a weekend video.

the celestron 76mm was my first one ordered so ill see how that mount or overall scope is for a new person.

the 2nd one iam thinking of is either the meade 114 mini dob or the skywatcher 130mm heritage one i havnt decided yet cause depends on price, i cant always buy a scope just for testing on a video.

joejaguar

I’d love to view your channel, please message a link 😃

I agree with Joe Aguiar is that cheap scopes can more or less deter new beginners from getting in the hobby and staying with it . It would be better to just get a nice set of binoculars like the Celestron 15x70 than to waste money on a cheap scope . All should agree on that ! 

https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Celestron15x70SkyMaster-14.htm

https://www.celestron.com/products/skymaster-15x70-binoculars

Edited by celestron8g8
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, joe aguiar said:

well the problem alan people will buy telescopes in the $40 to $99 range by the hundreds regarless if we say not to on these forums. we see those toy telescope for sale all the time on the used markets. we have to remember when we started out and didn't want to spend or maybe couldn't spend a lot on something we didn't know we would like. there are some cheaper scopes under $99 out there that are not the best BUt enough to get someone interested in the beginging, where then they will get something better.

we cant just say if you cant spend this  amount $$ then don't get into the hobby.

Rather, folks will end up buying those lesser kits if they do not seek our counsel here in the astronomy fora worldwide.  When, by chance, they do wander in, whilst we lie in wait twiddling our thumbs, we then do our collective and level best to persuade them otherwise, and with nigh to a 100% success-rate.  

Then, any pair of binoculars or telescope is better than none at all, like this one for example...

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-x-50-wide-angle-binoculars-94527.html

That pair is actually a great deal, but you might have to return them once or twice for a replacement, and to get a really good one; a pair that will not produce eye-strain and/or a head-ache. 

15 hours ago, Jenova said:

Thankyou for all your replies. You certainly made me think how my son would first use his telescope. ive watched So many videos on so many scopes past few days. 
Now I need help on which quality eye piece to purchase. And do all eye pieces fit all scopes are they all a standard size & fitting?

Will he need filters too

To start he will view from his bedroom window, but judging from all the research I’ve done he’ll soon be outside 😂  I’ve decided to spend a bit more and invest in a goto telescope that has a Wi-fi link to a iPad app. I know you may frown on this, but I’m sure also you’ll understand that a 15yr old uses a lot of internet tools. I decided that a app with info at his fingertips, on whichever object he tries to view would suit his thirst for  Knowledge.

SkyWatcher star discovery p150i Wi-fi telescope is what I think will suit him. 

But which quality eye piece should I buy with it?

Thankyou so much 😃

If that is the kit you intend to purchase, then you may want to know a few things about it.  One is that the go-to mount comprises the bulk of the purchase-price, and with the build and quality of the telescope itself taking a back seat.  On the plus-side, the mount can be used manually in the event of battery, computer and/or motor failures; if I'm not mistaken.  Another plus is that the back of the telescope is sealed, in so far as keeping foreign matter from entering the tube.  I would suggest adding a dew-shield to the front of the telescope when used outdoors, and to protect the front opening, the secondary-mirror in particular.  Then, a 150mm f/5 telescope doesn't really need a go-to mount to find objects in the sky; unless one observes under a light-polluted city-dome.  Go-to mounts are generally for telescopes with long focal-lengths, as they need help in the hunting of objects, like these Maksutov-Cassegrains on go-to mounts...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/skywatcher-skymax-127-synscan-az-goto.html

The mount of that kit cannot be operated manually in the event of said failures.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/sky-watcher-skymax-127-az-gti.html

The mount of that one can be operated manually.

The focal-lengths of each of those two Maksutovs are twice as long(1500mm) as the Newtonian(750mm) of the "Star Discovery" kit, and for observing objects up close, easily, and with the static 4mm-to-40mm range of eyepieces.  Telescopes vary considerably in their focal-lengths and -ratios, and therefore must conform and work with that range of eyepieces.  Where you would need barlows to reach the higher powers with a Newtonian, a Maksutov doesn't really need one.  Then, a Maksutov is something of a specialty telescope, for medium-to-high powers; no low-power, wide-field views are possible with a Maksutov, if that is of concern to you.

The most versatile focal-length, given said range of eyepieces, is at about 900mm, and for observing most everything in the sky satisfactorily; most versatile it would be.  The used Helios kit for example, or this new kit at the top of the page...

https://www.sherwoods-photo.com/meade_astronomical_telescope/meade_polaris_reflectors.htm

Ignore the two kits listed below that one.

Those are just examples of what's out there in the marketplace.