Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Ruud

Moon: Sunrise on Santbech

For months I’ve been waiting for good light on Snellius and Stevinus, and when I unexpectedly found last evening’s sky clear of clouds and free of fog I hoped I would finally succeed, but the good conditions had come a day too late: the terminator had already left them behind.

So instead I focused on this mid-sized crater just greeting a beam of sunlight between long shadows. I looked it up: it is Santbech, a 64 km wide crater with a depth of 4.5 km. Wikipedia says Daniel Santberg was a Dutch mathematician and astronomer. In 1651, Riccioli named the crater in his honour.

Santbech.thumb.png.45dff96fc7bee8be341e245f7e985aa0.png

Thanks for viewing. 

• Like 6

Beautiful sketch, Ruud. Intricate shadows at play there :) .  The moon, Venus, Jupiter, and Saturn have been putting on a spectacular show in the southwest sky over the past several days.

• Like 1

Hi Ruud, the moon is a wonderful playground. Never heard of this crater before. Such a good technique for capturing the start of the day for this crater. Hoping to submit a sketch from last night's lunar outing. Mike

• Like 1