Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

GordonH

Ribblehead Viaduct Time lapse and nightscapes

Recommended Posts

This is my second entry to the competition, I hope I got it in time
Last night I went back to one of favourite haunts to shoot some time lapse, star trails, animated star rails and some nightscapes. It sounds like a lot but all of these are done from the same data. I got to Ribblehead station at about 2:30pm which left me plenty of time to have a cup of coffee at the Station Inn before setting off for the viaduct where I was based for the night. In all I shot 6 time lapse clips from which I also made a couple of animated star trails, star trail images and some single image nightscape shots. I was using a Sony A7Sii with a Samyang 12mm f2.8 fisheye lens and all the exposures were 40 seconds at f2.8 with ISO varying between 1000, 6400 and 8000. For the other clips I used my Sony A7iii with Samyang 24mm f1.4 and all exposures were 20 seconds at f1.4 and ISO 1000 and 6400. Even though the cameras aren't astro modified I found that on the one clip showing the milky way moving across the viaduct I could easily make out the North America Nebula as well as Andromeda galaxy which I thought was pretty good for a 20 second exposure. In all I took a total of about 2,600 images between 5:30pm and 5:30am. It was very clear with no wind during the night but very cold and frosty, during one of the clips you can actually see a puddle in the foreground icing over. From downloading all the data from my cameras to uploading to youtube took me about 6 hours. The processing consisted of taking one RAW image from each clip, processing that in Lightroom and using the copy/paste function to transfer the processing workflow to all the images in each clip. The star trails/animated star trails were done with Starstax. Each clip was rendered to video using Premier Pro. The nighscape shots were from the clips and had a final tweak in Photoshop. When I had all the video clips, still frames, star trails and animated star trail clips I then rendered the whole lot to one video clip after adding music and title screens
 
The video can be seen at the link below and it is available in HD and 4K (4K is much better)
 
Edited by GordonH
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is an epic ! 

I love the whole thing and I also admire your puddle shots :)

Andromeda and the Milky Way weren't just good, they were exceptional.

How many other people were around when you were taking your shots ? I can't see you being alone on a clear night like that,

Dave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Dave

There were two people earlier in the evening till about 11pm taking single shots of the night sky but thankfully they left, while I encourage people to come out and do the same as me I wish people would learn about dark sky etiquette, both of them were turning on flashlights and camera phone lights every five minutes or so to see what they were doing which was annoying and thankfully it didn't spoil my clips. If they were at a star party such as Kelling they'd get thrown off the site;-)

Apart from that and the noisy owls I was on my own for the whole night

Best wishes

Gordon

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/12/2019 at 10:44, GordonH said:

Hi Dave

There were two people earlier in the evening till about 11pm taking single shots of the night sky but thankfully they left, while I encourage people to come out and do the same as me I wish people would learn about dark sky etiquette, both of them were turning on flashlights and camera phone lights every five minutes or so to see what they were doing which was annoying and thankfully it didn't spoil my clips. If they were at a star party such as Kelling they'd get thrown off the site;-)

Apart from that and the noisy owls I was on my own for the whole night

Best wishes

Gordon

 

I'm with you there Gordon. I like having friends around me imaging but avoid " Strangers " and their chimping 🤔

I keep coming back to the video and I see a bit more each time. Thanks,

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a fantastic video. I've completed the Yorkshire 3 Peaks a few times and it's a place I know well and love. A real pleasure to watch- thanks for sharing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome and shows real dedication.

Do you mind me asking where you got your Timelapse+ View from??

I cannot find a UK supplier and I don't like buying from the USA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

Awesome and shows real dedication.

Do you mind me asking where you got your Timelapse+ View from??

I cannot find a UK supplier and I don't like buying from the USA.

I got mine from the States through a company called Dynamic Perceptions when I bought my motorised camera slider. You're right in that there are no UK suppliers but you can buy direct from the company that makes them

Best wishes

Gordon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GordonH said:

I got mine from the States through a company called Dynamic Perceptions when I bought my motorised camera slider. You're right in that there are no UK suppliers but you can buy direct from the company that makes them

Best wishes

Gordon

Thanks Gordon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.