Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep24_banner.thumb.jpg.56e65b9c9549c15ed3f06e146fc5f5f1.jpg

fifeskies

Concrete tube for concrete pier moulding

Hi,

I'm planning the construction of a concrete pier in my garden here in the UK using a filled tube , cardboard or plastic drain pipe

I've read various accounts of others who have done similar using cardboard but the majority of these have been US-based, where the Sonotube  features quite a lot .

Is there an equivalent product available in the UK?

I can only find small diameter (postal type) tubes

Been searching around (google etc) but there doesn't seem to be a UK equivalent

Thanks.

Carpet and vinyl flooring comes on cardboard tubes but may not be big enough diameter, a look in skips outside such shops might help.

Dave

• Like 1

I used Air-Con ducting, 250mm & 150mm diameters, cheap & freely available

• Thanks 1

yes I had thought a trip to the local carpet saleroom might be a good idea

might not be as good quality as a sonotube , or be waterproof , but a coat of varnish on the inside could cure that.

2 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Yes I had considered ducting , might be looking for a wider diameter though, but that is available too as ducting I think , just need to look around a bit more for the larger diameter.

Wouldn't go much bigger than 250mm as you can get problems with scope / camera hitting it when aimed straight up depending on mount design.

Dave

Edited by Davey-T
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Wouldn't go much bigger than 250mm as you can get problems with scope / camera hitting it when aimed straight up depending on mount design.

Dave

I am moulding a smaller diameter part at the top to avoid scope collisions , its a high pier

• Like 1

Rapidobat Column Formers in the UK are similar to Sonotube. I don't know if they sell single tubes but you could email them. 

I did buy a similar pvc lined cardboard tube about 15 years ago for my pier. 12" diameter and 6 feet long. Can't remember who I bought it from but they were happy to supply a single tube and it arrived on a flat bed lorry a couple of days later. :smile: Can't remember the cost but it wasn't excessive.

Alan

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, symmetal said:

Rapidobat Column Formers in the UK are similar to Sonotube. I don't know if they sell single tubes but you could email them. 

These look to be ideal , and with diameters ranging up to a full metre are exactly what I need.

(Not that I need a metre diameter)

I am probably going to use a stepped column starting at 450 at base then narrower as it rises

Edited by fifeskies
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Found you can get spiral ducting in diameters up to 500mm from a well known auction site , delivered.

Image6.jpg

Yep, I sunk a 250mm x 2M tube into the ground & set a smaller 150 MM tube into that, up to my mounting plate.....

• Like 1