Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

fifeskies

Concrete tube for concrete pier moulding

Hi,

I'm planning the construction of a concrete pier in my garden here in the UK using a filled tube , cardboard or plastic drain pipe

I've read various accounts of others who have done similar using cardboard but the majority of these have been US-based, where the Sonotube  features quite a lot .

Is there an equivalent product available in the UK?

I can only find small diameter (postal type) tubes

Been searching around (google etc) but there doesn't seem to be a UK equivalent

Thanks.

Carpet and vinyl flooring comes on cardboard tubes but may not be big enough diameter, a look in skips outside such shops might help.

Dave

• Like 1

I used Air-Con ducting, 250mm & 150mm diameters, cheap & freely available

• Thanks 1

yes I had thought a trip to the local carpet saleroom might be a good idea

might not be as good quality as a sonotube , or be waterproof , but a coat of varnish on the inside could cure that.

2 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Yes I had considered ducting , might be looking for a wider diameter though, but that is available too as ducting I think , just need to look around a bit more for the larger diameter.

Wouldn't go much bigger than 250mm as you can get problems with scope / camera hitting it when aimed straight up depending on mount design.

Dave

Edited by Davey-T
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Wouldn't go much bigger than 250mm as you can get problems with scope / camera hitting it when aimed straight up depending on mount design.

Dave

I am moulding a smaller diameter part at the top to avoid scope collisions , its a high pier

• Like 1

Rapidobat Column Formers in the UK are similar to Sonotube. I don't know if they sell single tubes but you could email them. 

I did buy a similar pvc lined cardboard tube about 15 years ago for my pier. 12" diameter and 6 feet long. Can't remember who I bought it from but they were happy to supply a single tube and it arrived on a flat bed lorry a couple of days later. :smile: Can't remember the cost but it wasn't excessive.

Alan

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, symmetal said:

Rapidobat Column Formers in the UK are similar to Sonotube. I don't know if they sell single tubes but you could email them. 

These look to be ideal , and with diameters ranging up to a full metre are exactly what I need.

(Not that I need a metre diameter)

I am probably going to use a stepped column starting at 450 at base then narrower as it rises

Edited by fifeskies
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Found you can get spiral ducting in diameters up to 500mm from a well known auction site , delivered.

Image6.jpg

Yep, I sunk a 250mm x 2M tube into the ground & set a smaller 150 MM tube into that, up to my mounting plate.....

• Like 1