Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Veiwing through open window/skylight

wesdon1

4 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

problem with goto and aligning would be the lack of room to rotate the OTA and not collide with the window/opening I think. Perhaps a simple RA or dual motor might do just as well with the limitations, unless you want to be able to use the scope out in the open

Yes i think it's only gonna work outdoors? I'll give it a go indoors and let you know if i have any joy.

Just now, wesdon1 said:

Yes i think it's only gonna work outdoors? I'll give it a go indoors and let you know if i have any joy.

It should still be able to RA track tho... you'd just have to be careful choosing a goto target in case it'll take it into an obstruction. Have the same limitations with my 100RS on the EQ5 SynScan if I'm using it in the conservatory rather than out in the garden, esp as my scopes are all 1M long or thereabouts. The SW130 on the EQ2 with RA motor can at least track and not have the worry of risking it trying to go where it shouldn't ;) Guess I could swap the 100RS or tal-1 OTA onto the EQ2 if I needed to but so far I just work within the limitations as needed.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 30/11/2019 at 20:13, Marvin Jenkins said:

That’s it. I have had enough. All this polar aligning, equaling temp rubbish, I am going to cut a hole in the roof and view from the comfort of the sofa. Complete genius, why was I thinking of building an ror obsy when I can just fit a sky light.

No power issues as there is a plug socket right there. Dew control! Hardly matters your indoors. The options are limitless, I live open plan so pot noodles and coffee can be at arms reach and for educational purposes I can have The Big Bang on the tv.

No muddy boots, no carrying kit outside then back again. With all the lights off it could be described as my own dark sky site, I’m sold.

M

haha that's the spirit Marvin! To heck with all the faffing about! and why bother cutting a hole in the roof, why not just blast a hole out instead!?? Much more fun!! haha ( on a serious note, i honestly, sincerely have an amnazing time veiwing out that window of mine. I'm very very lucky in that it face due south, and i have roughly 160 degree angle of veiw from east to west. 

Hi again

There is a disadvantage and limitation in that obviously you can only see what is passing the restricted fov at the time. If there happens to be some cloud where you are pointing... PA isn't an issue. My windows point East (West from the bedroom but I seldom do anything from there). So I just roughly align in azimuth but use PHD2 to drift align in Alt. Works for me. You only really have to be aligned in the direction you are viewing/imaging. It may be a bit more problematic if the direction is North/South East rather than due East as I have. Of course, if you have a skylight and can see the celestial pole, also fine. As mentioned, on the plus side - nice and comfy! You can relax on a couch, watch tv, have coffee etc. whilst you are imaging :). Otoh, I do wish I could get outside and image some different targets but I'm stuck in the flat :(.

Louise

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 01/12/2019 at 12:53, Nyctimene said:

German amateur (semi-professional) Klaus Wenzel, Wenigumstadt, has been observing very successfully for more than 20 years DSO's and especially QSO's (at the moment, more than 100 visually!) from his roof observatory, which is fitted with a sliding window. He is equipped with a 16" Dob; the room is unheated.

image.png.b8eb3b92b515f12871c6e1b82e680afa.png

Stephan

WOW!!?? And I thought that I was pushing it!!?? haha!! That's ace!! 

• Like 1