SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Veiwing through open window/skylight

wesdon1

Afternoon folks. Listen, i'm just throwing this out there cos of positive personal experience. many many members will recoil in horror at the idea of using a Telescope indoors, but I've been viewing the Southern night skies this way for 14 months now and I've had amazing results. I basically use a skylight/window in roof of building, as my top floor flat has this in my living room. Now what i do to help mitigate thermals/bad seeing etc is isolate room by closing door. obviously heating is not on, then i leave the window wide open for a hour or more before my observing session begins, and this effectively creates a "Cold Room" for veiweing. ( Obvs in summer it's a bit more challenging, but as long as the room temp is ambient to outside, it's the same effect more or less ) and i swear to you all i've had very satisfying results, viewing most of the planets, some bright DSO's and obvs many many different stars. I just want newbies to know that if this is their only real option, then rather than miss out completely on the wonders above, they should take this path. I love my views and I also live in a Bortle 8 area! ( for the newbies, the Bortle Scale is just a measure of light pollution where you are, the lower the Bortle number, the less light pollution there is ). So please don't knock this unless you have first hand, multiple experiences! and even then, I still maintain it's a great way to view skies! The proof is in the pudding! To coin a phrase! lol

( telescopes-SkyWatcher 114/500 newt. Reflector. Skywatcher 130/900 Newt. Reflector. Skywatcher 200/1200 Newt. Reflector. EQ2 and EQ5 Mounts. Multiple eyepieces of various sizes. Filters etc )

Wes, Liverpool, UK.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I've viewed out of the open conservatory door as with some careful positioning I can view out SSE, could be very handy in mid-winter rather than being out in the open. Summertime not so great as it gets very hot, but with the door left open a while it does cool reasonably well if I'm feeling lazy to shift the gear out into the garden. Makes hooking to mains power so much easier too :) 

• Like 1

Although many will warn against such viewing - I'm certain that most will agree that some observing is better than no observing, so by all means - if that is the only way, go for it.

I think it is just a matter of managing expectations, and making the best of circumstances - like in your case, if open window is needed to bring room to close to ambient, and similar.

It would be good if you could give us comparison - how much degradation there is compared to being outside (in same / similar conditions).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DaveL59 said:

I've viewed out of the open conservatory door as with some careful positioning I can view out SSE, could be very handy in mid-winter rather than being out in the open. Summertime not so great as it gets very hot, but with the door left open a while it does cool reasonably well if I'm feeling lazy to shift the gear out into the garden. Makes hooking to mains power so much easier too :) 

Hi Dave. I'm glad you  have positive experiences too my friend! I had to observe this way due to living up top flats and no lifts! I adapted and improvised, and haven't looked back! The details i have seen in the planets, the beautiful stars, even the Nebulae in Orion and other DSO's have taken my breath away. ( And even in my little 114/500 aperture/Focal Length Newtonian Reflector I've teased out nebulae in my awfully light polluted area! ). With my big 200/1200 Newtonian Reflector mounted on my EQ5, I've even seen some colour in Nebulae!?? My views are that good, i have never ever took my rigs downstairs or to a dark sky sight! ( Though that's a HUGE treat i'm going to give myself soon! lol I'll go to a dark sky site to really increase the viewing quality relative to my already great views currently ). I just wanted newbies to know that it's possible to look out of open windows. I'd NEVER recommend looking out closed window at anything other than the Moon! lol ) 

from the conservatory I note v little difference, tho the end of the scope is outside the doorway and having no heating  things tend to outside temps very quickly. Added benefit is a handy table and subdues light thru the curtain to see what I'm doing. I'd imagine a window may have the warm air rising off the roof/walls that'd give much the same effect as looking over houses nearby if not a little more. All of my viewing is by necessity over houses but hasn't caused any real issues so far.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Although many will warn against such viewing - I'm certain that most will agree that some observing is better than no observing, so by all means - if that is the only way, go for it.

I think it is just a matter of managing expectations, and making the best of circumstances - like in your case, if open window is needed to bring room to close to ambient, and similar.

It would be good if you could give us comparison - how much degradation there is compared to being outside (in same / similar conditions).

Hi vlaiv. Thank You for your positive comments. I was just saying to Dave, due to my views being so good, I've never actually felt the need to take my rigs outside! Obviously I've viewed through friends telescopes outside over the years, and i'd say, on a one to one comparison, the indoors viewing is about 20-25% less in quality and light gathering terms, though I've had one night freaks of nature where the indoors was unreal and on  a par with outdoors viewing! This is/was rare though.  Basically with a half decent aperture, good seeing etc my indoors viewing is brilliant and such a joy! ( just for clarity, i mean viewing though large open window, NOT through window glass! lol ) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wesdon1 said:

Hi Dave. I'm glad you  have positive experiences too my friend! I had to observe this way due to living up top flats and no lifts! I adapted and improvised, and haven't looked back! The details i have seen in the planets, the beautiful stars, even the Nebulae in Orion and other DSO's have taken my breath away. ( And even in my little 114/500 aperture/Focal Length Newtonian Reflector I've teased out nebulae in my awfully light polluted area! ). With my big 200/1200 Newtonian Reflector mounted on my EQ5, I've even seen some colour in Nebulae!?? My views are that good, i have never ever took my rigs downstairs or to a dark sky sight! ( Though that's a HUGE treat i'm going to give myself soon! lol I'll go to a dark sky site to really increase the viewing quality relative to my already great views currently ). I just wanted newbies to know that it's possible to look out of open windows. I'd NEVER recommend looking out closed window at anything other than the Moon! lol ) 

yep, making the best of circumstances means some compromises. I did the same with CCTV here, lots said it was dumb to have them behind the glass but they work fine, I just fitted a matt black card to removed stray reflections from indoor lighting and put IR illuminators outside. I can't drill through the walls (rented) so I made the best of the options I had. Downside is the skycam can't be run B&W as the IR makes a total mess of the pic lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Sometimes I do view from the conservatory. Openning  one of the big side windows gives a fair view to the south. Leave the heat off and tilt open a couple of windows and it is pretty close to ambient.

9C1EA615-DC9A-462F-8716-BD882D8DCE59.jpeg

hi again, i don't know how to upload pic of my Telescope vewing position/window ? 

12 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Sometimes I do view from the conservatory. Openning  one of the big side windows gives a fair view to the south. Leave the heat off and tilt open a couple of windows and it is pretty close to ambient.

9C1EA615-DC9A-462F-8716-BD882D8DCE59.jpeg

hi again, i don't know how to upload pic of my Telescope vewing position/window ? 

001 (2).JPG

• Like 4

i would say only downfall from that is if the window is not big or huge your viewing area wont be that big to see alot things tho but if it works then do it, also by u turning off heat and ac that helps iam not sure alot others who live in a house may like it but again if it works for u then great

joejaguar

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wesdon1 said:

001 (2).JPG

Life would probably be even easier with an alt az mount, as Polar aligning your EQ in that position, even just for visual use must be impossible.

I agree that if this is the only way you are likely to get regular views, then it is better than not viewing at all. You are not looking through glass, and taking precautions in terms of getting the room down to ambient will be minimising thermals so it should be ok.

• Like 1

That’s it. I have had enough. All this polar aligning, equaling temp rubbish, I am going to cut a hole in the roof and view from the comfort of the sofa. Complete genius, why was I thinking of building an ror obsy when I can just fit a sky light.

No power issues as there is a plug socket right there. Dew control! Hardly matters your indoors. The options are limitless, I live open plan so pot noodles and coffee can be at arms reach and for educational purposes I can have The Big Bang on the tv.

No muddy boots, no carrying kit outside then back again. With all the lights off it could be described as my own dark sky site, I’m sold.

M

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

every big science telescope dos it from indoors so why carnt we even when were not stuck on top of some volcano. every image I have taken in the last 5 years has been taken from indoors and I don't think ive done too bad "fingers crossed"  when life gives astronomers lemons we make batterys 🙂. best of luck. charl.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, xtreemchaos said:

every big science telescope dos it from indoors so why carnt we even when were not stuck on top of some volcano. every image I have taken in the last 5 years has been taken from indoors and I don't think ive done too bad "fingers crossed"  when life gives astronomers lemons we make batterys 🙂. best of luck. charl.

I know I was having some fun but I am going to give it go. I have a large skylight in my roof and I will give it a back to back test against the exterior. My biggest problem is everything dewing up so quick, so perhaps the thermal trade off would be positive. Everything is worth a try.

M

• Like 1

sadly my more SE facing conservatory windows don't open else that'd be a more useful view, kinda have  to wait for things to cycle further toward the SSE/S and then get a little viewing time before the oak tree starts to get in the way. But for short sessions it works well enough and for the EQ5 I can set it up so the tripod is part in and part out to get more SSE but still be half indoors when viewing. Means I disturb the wee hedgehog less too when he's visiting for his food ;) 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

the thing to do is get the window open a good hour before you plan to obs/image so the scope can cooldown and no heating in the room helps not so much with the moon or sol but deepsky stuff it really matters. charl.

I hear you on the heating. My only problem is if my wife minds a 150pds on a eq5 standing on the coffee table in the middle of the lounge. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

my obsyrooms S/E too, and though out the year I get to see most things as long as there not too high but really low stuff like Antares 🙂 I don't stand a chance as ive a small hill at the back but I get a shot of sol every clear day, you just have to make the most of what yove got. charl.

Edited by xtreemchaos
lack of letters
  • Like 1

ah luckily I'm near the top of the hill, but of course the garden fence reduces how low I can view, but generally the planets have been quite well placed as the LH fence isn't so high. More an issue if the other side are in and have the lighting on the back of the house turned on, bye bye any dark adaption, but luckily she's not around a lot :) 

had once considered using the back bedroom, can only open one window and they're small, but its too loaded up with storage boxes etc so not v practical

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 1