Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

CentaurZ

Venus as Brilliant 2019-20 Evening Star

Brilliant Venus has commenced its apparition in the western sky after sunset following its superior conjunction behind the Sun on 2019 AUG 12. It will become its highest and brightest during the upcoming spring.

Photos and descriptions of Venus during this apparition would be welcome additions to this thread.

Venus-App.JPG.cabef4041293ddbc7622589118885b6a.JPG

• Like 3

Just caught a brilliant Venus low down. Bright speck iphone shot in clearing.

andrew

venus.JPG

• Like 2

On 29/11/2019 at 22:39, CentaurZ said:

Brilliant Venus has commenced its apparition in the western sky after sunset following its superior conjunction behind the Sun on 2019 AUG 12. It will become its highest and brightest during the upcoming spring.

Photos and descriptions of Venus during this apparition would be welcome additions to this thread.

Venus-App.JPG.cabef4041293ddbc7622589118885b6a.JPG

Hello,

I struggle a bit to understand when I am supposed to look for inferior planets. Could you please help me with this?

Is Venus going to be observable during the whole spring, every day? Evening or morning viewing? When will the disc be the widest (viewed from earth obviously)? 

Cheers,

Raph

2 hours ago, Raph-in-the-sky said:

Hello,

I struggle a bit to understand when I am supposed to look for inferior planets. Could you please help me with this?

Is Venus going to be observable during the whole spring, every day? Evening or morning viewing? When will the disc be the widest (viewed from earth obviously)? 

Cheers,

Raph

An inferior planet (Mercury or Venus) alternates as an evening or morning star, i.e. visible shortly after sunset or before dawn.

The entire synodic cycle for Venus is 19.2 months, half in the evening and half in the morning. For Mercury a synodic cycle averages 3.8 months. A synodic cycle is the time it takes for one planet to lap another in their race around the Sun.

Venus will indeed be visible in the western sky during the early evening from now through May, as illustrated in my chart above. Its angular diameter is widest during inferior conjunction with the Sun, but at that time it cannot be observed.

Below is another chart I created that may clarify the matter for you.

Venus-Phases.JPG.a90450c47cf24d298658b0bebb9acff2.JPG

Edited by CentaurZ
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CentaurZ said:

An inferior planet (Mercury or Venus) alternates as an evening or morning star, i.e. visible shortly after sunset or before dawn.

The entire synodic cycle for Venus is 19.2 months, half in the evening and half in the morning. For Mercury a synodic cycle averages 3.8 months. A synodic cycle is the time it takes for one planet to lap another in their race around the Sun.

Venus will indeed be visible in the western sky during the early evening from now through May, as illustrated in my chart above. Its angular diameter is widest during inferior conjunction with the Sun, but at that time it cannot be observed.

Below is another chart I created that may clarify the matter for you.

Venus-Phases.JPG.a90450c47cf24d298658b0bebb9acff2.JPG

Thanks! That was a great explanation! I knew the jist of it but I was missing a time frame.

One more question... When does Venus become decently observable in its cycle coming from supperior conjonction? If I understand correcly the planet is observable in the evening about 6 month before inferior conjonction, becomes unobservable for a short time (how long?) close to inferior conjonction and then becomes observable again for about 6 month in the early morning... Am I getting this right?

Already unmistakable in the evening skies, I pointed out to a passenger in my car a couple of days ago. His response was "it can't possibly be a planet, its too bright" funny what people think 🙂

10 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Already unmistakable in the evening skies, I pointed out to a passenger in my car a couple of days ago. His response was "it can't possibly be a planet, its too bright" funny what people think 🙂

Oddly enough, my lady friend said the same thing to me back in 2017, when I pointed it out to her, whilst walking back to a car park. 😆

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Philip R said:

Oddly enough, my lady friend said the same thing to me back in 2017, when I pointed it out to her, whilst walking back to a car park. 😆

The following afternoon doing the same journey (work 😞 ) i pointed it out again, just prove it was in fact it wasn't an helicopter/jet.