Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Natalie Debrabandere

A line of satellites?

Hi - I was out this morning at 06:15 a.m. and spotted what I thought was a satellite tracking across the sky in a SW quadrant. Then I realised it was actually a string of them - I counted 13, all in a line, with different spaces in between. When I looked to the left of this line, I saw three other satellites going in that direction. At a loss as to what I saw... Can you help?

What you saw must be Elon Musk’s second batch of StarLink satellites... 60 of them in this launch... and that’s a tiny fraction of the 42,000 that he hopes to surround the globe with, just to provide internet access across the whole planet... and simultaneously screw up our view out to the sky beyond... he must be stopped!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here's a visualisation of when they are all launched.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This evening I was surprised to see a line of these satellites rising from the south-west horizon starting at around 18:10 and continuing for at least 10 minutes. On reaching the zenith they disappeared into the earth's shadow one by one. Looking through my 30x80 binoculars (not easy to hold by hand!) they were bright points of light with a golden hue - at first I thought they may have been Chinese lanterns but clearly they were not! The total number was in the order of 30 or so and not equally spaced, some flying very close together as a pair. Never seen anything like this before in many years of observing the night sky so can only presume these are Elon Musk's Starlink satellites! A bit concerning if there are many more to follow!

On 29/11/2019 at 02:50, PhotoGav said:

What you saw must be Elon Musk’s second batch of StarLink satellites... 60 of them in this launch... and that’s a tiny fraction of the 42,000 that he hopes to surround the globe with, just to provide internet access across the whole planet... and simultaneously screw up our view out to the sky beyond... he must be stopped!

agreed, "he" must be stopped. the whole scheme is monstrous but the public thinks it's cool and im afraid there is no stopping it

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, I saw the string of  the first of the series launched way back in  summer 2019. 

Fascinated but appalled.

Then I took some comfort from it realising that when the UFO nuts start reporting them (or anything else) that we can debunk them instantly. 

No need to call on Venus refracted by swamp gas.

Hang on there!....Where are the nutter reports ? Aren't they looking up? Does this mean they now know a satellite from a FTL mother ship?

Edited by dobblob

On 29/11/2019 at 12:03, Cjg said:

Here's a visualisation of when they are all launched.

OMG!... Eek!... Yikes!... :crybaby2: 

I blame the Russians, they started it by sending up a dog! 

(PS. that's a joke not a political statement)

Happy new year all.

• Haha 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By EwanJ
      Was just viewing moon through telescope at around 17:30-17:40 New Year's eve 2019.I looked around the night sky seeing what was out. Then above the moon(south).I spotted moving bright objects in the sky (satellites). I saw a couple move across the sky. Then I saw they were moving in a straight diagnol line. This happened for about 5 minutes straight I reckon I at least saw 35+ satellites. I then saw a bright torch beam so I am not sure where that came from. I typed it up and I heard SpaceX launched 60 satelittes. Have you ever experinced this? I live in Newcastle let me know if you have.
    • By ShrewView
      This is one of the images I took on Friday night whilst trying to catch a Perseid or two.
      Think there's at least 10 satellite trails on this 10 second sub which just goes to show how much stuff we've sent up there.
      Are there any good sources of info on how many satellites are launched each year or how many are up there now?

• By moe mountain mike
      i have an ancient watec 120n (more about that later) but recently i purchased a ZWO AI120MC. i use a Computar 5 mm f/1.4 lens, sky studio pro software( interfaces with ZWO windows driver, cool!), xvid codec, 4 second integration. no guiding (of course). pointing at a circumpolar point north by north east approximately 45 degrees declination. 
      i have been influenced by security and dash cams capturing, inadvertently, fire balls. why not do it on purpose? i have been for a few years now. sure, i capture meteors but mostly i get jet aircraft, satellites and...
      i upload videos to my youtube channel. everyone is invited to check them out.
      i also have orion all in one and an astroscope image intensifier on  canon t1i and t3i. 
      it is my opinion that there are more short dim meteors than long bright ones. there are more satellites than meteors and more jet aircraft than satellites. something else...you foe? cloudy nights? check out my star field time lapses.
      youtube, what can i say? full screen in darkened room, make sure the gear has HD in red, click and select if not. find an intriguing clip? get a youtube down loader for best quality on your local drive. try adjusting play back speeds. 

• By Cyntrifical
      Greetings,
       I just recently acquired a 10ft (3.048m) Prime Focus Mesh Satellite Dish. It's not in too bad of shape for it's age (probably late 70's or early 80's?) and I still have yet to test the actuator arm or motor. Those aren't too expensive to replace. It currently has a Dual motorized C/Ku Band LNB feedhorn on it, which is in the range of 3.4-4.2 GHz, from my understanding, is almost entirely TV satellites. I'm looking to downlink GOES Satellites to receive full disk images of earth, and it seems I need some type of LNB in the L-band range of 1600-1700MHz (can't remember exact frequency at the moment).
       I've searched and searched online and it seems that there's not a lot of L band LNB products for prime focus dishes. Most are made with an Off Axis dish, however I've heard of other's using a prime focus dish for this exact purpose. Does anyone have any links to a product page for a receiver/lnb that will work? Or is there a DIY method for making my own? Would greatly appreciate any help! We are planning on mounting it onto a two wheeled vehicle trailer, and repairing the actuator arm and using a positioner system to control the direction of the dish. Thanks!

• By ShrewView
      Had a great evening yesterday, imaging and observing.
      Started with the moon, and later when it got dark enough I thought i'd have a go at trying to image M13 and then M57. I've not tried either before so it was a bit of an experiment and will be interesting to see what comes out of the final stack.
      Anyway, while the camera was doing its thing I sat back in a comfortable garden chair to watch for meteors, and over the course of a couple of hours saw at least 10 or so. They were mostly Perseids, but as one of the frames for the area around M57 shows a definite trail I thought i'd ask for opinions. So let me know what you think. I do recall seeing one meteor in this general area, but was not looking there all the time and am not sure it comes from the right direction to be a perseid, so perhaps its just a satellite?
      Image was 15 seconds at 1600 iso with a canon 6d on a bresser 127 L. The image is as it was taken, other than it being a lower res jpeg from the original raw file.
      Thanks for looking  
      Daniel

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.