SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Switch pros/cons

well that's hard to say u didn't say if the 6" is an apo or acro short or long tube if its long like a f/8 or 9

what mount will it be on? with tracking or not

I have a SW evostar 6'f/8 apo and its not a small scope 6" doesn't sound big BUT for a refractor it is.

I also have at least 5 acros in the 6' size. and the meade 152f/9 ED apo refractor, this size you need a good mount and be very dedicated or it wont get used often. For most people I would say 5.1" refractor is enough.

A 10" dob tho will show lots deep sky stuff so its kinda hard to say

is portabililty an issue?

joejaguar

Edited by joe aguiar

1 hour ago, Burt8 said:

Thinking of switching fr a dob 10” to a refractor 6”. What will be the main pros and cons ?

We need more info but generally.....

Planetary views will be very similar.

DSO’s will be better in the Dob.

If your looking for an APO it will cost a lot more than the Dob.

The refractor will need a mount and will be a little harder to set up - unless you have an obsy.

The refractor will be a little less susceptible to poor seeing.

Overall the 10” Dob is a formidable instrument and hard to better unless you stay with the Newtonian design.

• Like 1

I say switch, can’t bear to part with me sw 250p what I meant was add a refractor as AP excites me. my dob as much as I love it’s ease of use has a manual motor  drive , but lacks the ability to track. I understand what you say about  a mount. I’m I right to be thinking th the mount is as vital as optic quality of the scope th sits on it? I’m lucky to have access to funds now and then but not enough to spend it unwisely. Learning to track and the many intricatacies of pic taking itself will take some time so is it better to focus on the mount  for now? Really after some advise and guidance. I’ve read up on AP and leaning towards the sw eq6 pro to start.   with the view to keeping  it long term. As for the scope, well I know there is heaps to learn so even a cheaper one will do. As I’m aware it’s gonna take a lot of practice to get anything near the good  pics  I want to capture. So any advise you guys can give on mounts and scopes for AP would be very gratefully received.  

If your main interest for a frac is AP I’d perhaps look at a 4” one. The shorter focal length will be easier to manage and overall it’ll be easier on the mount. 

A 6” on an EQ6 Pro is just starting to push the limits and in any event eats into the budget for other stuff. 

For pure AP even an 80mm can make a formidable weapon but to get some nice visual use out of it a 4” is good. 

I love my 105mm/F6.2. Stunning lunar views, very good on doubles and clusters and works on the brighter DSO’s. As for AP - it is far more capable than I! 

2 hours ago, dannybgoode said:

If your main interest for a frac is AP I’d perhaps look at a 4” one. The shorter focal length will be easier to manage and overall it’ll be easier on the mount. 

A 6” on an EQ6 Pro is just starting to push the limits and in any event eats into the budget for other stuff. 

For pure AP even an 80mm can make a formidable weapon but to get some nice visual use out of it a 4” is good. 

I love my 105mm/F6.2. Stunning lunar views, very good on doubles and clusters and works on the brighter DSO’s. As for AP - it is far more capable than I! 

Thanks Danny for your advise mate. I’ve just been offered a straight swap. My sw250p for sw eq6pro with a cheap 120m 1200mm. I’m tempted as I like the mount the scope I can improve on as I too improve. Do you feel it’s a good deal or not?

So first for ap putting a 10 inch even on a eq6 wont work, u probably need eq8.

Also for ap like guy above says u can do with a 80mm apo as the camera and mount are more important and camera does most of the work.

I dont think it's a good trade for the fact then u only got a 4.7 refractor which wont go near anywhere that 10 dob goes for Depp sky. I think u will regret it later.

I think u need a 2nd scope on eq mount.

Keep the 10 inch for dso then get a nice apo for crisp clear views in the 130mm range.

If it were me I may upgrade the 10 to 12 inch dob theres a good difference going to the 12 inch size and after this size its gets too big and bulky for most people,  and get a meade 6000 130mm apo then the eq6 for visual  and ap

Joejaguar 

Edited by joe aguiar

49 minutes ago, Burt8 said:

I’ve just been offered a straight swap

I would take this if your wanting to do AP. Your dob may be worth 300 second hand and the second hand eq6 would be more like 700 so this would be a great way of getting in AP an saving you a bucket full of money.

If you budget is low then a 130pds with cc would be a good option. I would even consider selling the 6" in the deal as this is probably not an apo so not much use for AP.