Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

OVL Hyperflex zoom

Steve Clay

Which one ?

There is the 7.2mm - 21.5mm and the 9mm - 27mm.

I have one of the former type (different branding but the same eyepiece) and its pretty nice. The main drawback is that the field of view at 21.5mm is rather narrow - around 38 degrees I reckon. It widens to around 55 degrees at the 7.2mm focal length. This characteristic is quite common with zoom eyepieces.

I mostly use mine with a 2.25x barlow to create a variable foacl length high power eyepiece and the optical quality is quite impressive even compared with somewhat more expensive alternatives.

Without the barlow the 7.2-21.5 zoom is a good eyepiece for solare observing, either H-alpha or white light.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, John said:

Which one ?

There is the 7.2mm - 21.5mm and the 9mm - 27mm.

I have one of the former type (different branding but the same eyepiece) and its pretty nice. The main drawback is that the field of view at 21.5mm is rather narrow - around 38 degrees I reckon. It widens to around 55 degrees at the 7.2mm focal length. This characteristic is quite common with zoom eyepieces.

I mostly use mine with a 2.25x barlow to create a variable foacl length high power eyepiece and the optical quality is quite impressive even compared with somewhat more expensive alternatives.

Without the barlow the 7.2-21.5 zoom is a good eyepiece for solare observing, either H-alpha or white light.

Thanks for that John. It's  the 7.2-21.5 I was thinking of, that combined with the 28mm 2 inch Ep that came with the scope would be all I need to take on hols in the van and have some variety.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steve Clay said:

Thanks for that John. It's  the 7.2-21.5 I was thinking of, that combined with the 28mm 2 inch Ep that came with the scope would be all I need to take on hols in the van and have some variety.

My travel / outreach set is pretty much that - the zoom plus the barlow plus a 30mm 2 inch wide angle eyepiece.

• Thanks 1