Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Monocular Thoughts

groberts

I'm looking for a monocular for general use just to carry around and look at birds, distant views etc. and would apreciate any thoughts from any monocular owners regarding (a) desirable spec and (b) any specififc monocular - budget up to £100.

I'd been hankering after the Helios 10-15x42 Zoom but have been unable to track anyone with these is stock any longer and now considering a similar Orion version https://www.astroshop.eu/instruments/orion-10-25x42-zoom-monocular/p,25379  

Any thoughts on this would be helpful or would a non-zoom say 10x42 or less mag be better?  

Thanks, Graham

I had a 10-20 x 60mm zoom monocular for a long time.

Although it was about 30 cm long, even when holding it  with two hands (one close to the eye, one at the far end) it was not easy to keep it steady enough for use at higher magnifications. With the short tube of the Orion 10-25 x 42mm, higher magnifications will require at least a bean bag to rest it on.

With my monocular, at decreasing magnifications the true field of view  got a bit wider, but the apparent field got narrower. At increasing magnifications the view got ever dimmer and duller toward the maximum. I ended up using the thing at 13x for almost all observing.

My zoom monocular was better than nothing, but a decent 8x42 monocular would have beaten it hands down, so I think you'd be better off with an 8x42.

• Like 1

If higher magnification is not an absolute requirement, consider looking for a Zeiss " 6x20B " on the used market;  I paid much less than your budget and am confident you would not be disappointed. The resolution is superb, and its diminutive size of one inch by four inches makes carrying it in a pocket barely noticeable. 

Edit:  I  consider it a lifetime keeper. 

PICT0004 (Medium).JPG

PICT0003(Medium).JPG

Edited by L8-Nite
After thought.
  • Like 1

If you're hand holding, the usual rules apply. For me that means 10x max. I'm not convinced that very light weight helps with holding. I feel that you need a certain amount of 'anvil effect' from the mass of the instrument to keep it still.

Olly

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit late to this thread but of it helps I have a 10x50 Barr and Stroud monocular that costs about £50 which I've done a lot of observing with. It's ok quality wise and good value for money wise. Focusing is easy and you can mount it on a tripod.

I use a Celestron 10x25 monocular for daytime . That is super small and light and you can carry it anywhere. 

However for astronomy I'm changing from the 10x50 to an 8x42 for slightly less vibes, slightly less weight, and a slightly wider field of view.

So I would vote for an 8x42 and go for one around the price you want to pay from a reasonably mainstream astro seller. I think you can get a fine one for £45 or so and beyond that as with most things you can spend as much as you are inclined.

Edited by Paz