SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What to do

Ken82

I’m mostly an imager but Recently Ive been getting into the wide field visuals using my 70mm binos and I want to take it further. 

I have a surplus fsq 85 I could use but how much more would that give me in comparison to the 70mm Lunt binos ? I’d need to get a tripod/alt az mount capable of carrying the fsq and a large 31mm eyepiece, any recommendations ? 

alternatively I’m thinking of getting a 8” dobsonian ?? 

ken 

22 hours ago, Ken82 said:

...I have a surplus fsq 85....

ken 

That doesn't make sense. If it's not for keeps and truly surplus sell it. You could get a great wide field portable setup that's grab and go and would bring a lot of fun day or night.

You would also make someone else very happy with the FSQ85.

Ken.

27 minutes ago, StarryEyed said:

That doesn't make sense. If it's not for keeps and truly surplus sell it. You could get a great wide field portable setup that's grab and go and would bring a lot of fun day or night.

You would also make someone else very happy with the FSQ85.

Ken.

Sorry I should be clearer. I do plan to use my fsq 85 in the future in a dual imaging rig but for now it’s not being used. 

I don’t think I would ever part with either of my fsqs as I would consider them lifetime scopes. 

I just thought if I bought a decent tripod/mount I could use it for some visuals. But then I consider it’s not much more for an 8” dob 

ok so if you want wide field views then thers options:

skywatcher and others sell a 102f/5 (400mm fl) refracrtor it comes 2" focuser I have put a 55mm meade plossl for some huge views. that's 7 power bascally what binos can do or a finderscope BUT with the light collecting power of a 4" scope tho.

you can also get the 120f/5 (600mmfl) same here if you want wide field low power you can use a low power 2" ep BUT you can still use a 32mm 1.25" in both these scope sand it still give a huge fov.

if you like the reflector version then there are the 6"f/5 reflectors (750mmfl) as well and then the 8"f/5 BUT even those this is an f/5 version its 1000mmfl

I have used that first one 102 f/5 at a grey zone on the American nebula and pelican and without any filters you can clearly see both. The north American was amazing you can see the curvy part of where mexico is and really looks like its name. The pelican also looks like the name and looks perfecty like the photos show. then the helix again was easy too.

so if low power wide field is what u want u cant go wrong with either these depends how big u want to go and if u want to deal with mirror aligning on the reflector or just a simple acro verson with no hassles.

joejaguar

How wide do you think you want. I guess your binos are 6.5 to 7.5° fov. (Just looked them up, they’re about 4°)  For comparison I just worked out a 6” f5 dob with 750mm focal length and 26mm Nagler is a 2.674° Fov. Much more light of course. You might want a paracorr with a dob, particularly as you’re interested in a wide view.

I like wide views too which is the main use of my baby tak.  I leave it on my tripod and carry it out quickly when I want very easily. My 24mm panoptic gives me a fov of 4.42°. The downside is it’s aperture & my light pollution which means it’s mostly good for star clusters at home. I think my 8x42 bins give me about 8.5° fov.

I think your FSQ85 is 450mm focal length so a 24mm panoptic gives you a fov of 3.438°. If I were you I think I’d try that for a bit before buying another scope.

Edited by Scooot