SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help with a Christmas Present

Hello everyone,

After some guidance please.

I am looking to make a purchase for my partner who enjoys looking into the night sky. We live by the coast and enjoy evening walks with the dog. She enjoys looking at the stars, so I wanted to buy her something to view in more detail.

Budget is up to £120 (will spend a bit more if recommended)

Looking for something that is pretty much plug and play, as neither of us have any experience in setting up or calibrating viewing equipment.

Something that is not too cumbersome as it will be carried from the car to the beach

Also within budget

I have done some reading and some people say a good pair of bins is a good starting point? Thoughts on Celestron 71009 SkyMaster 15 x 70 Binoculars?

Thanks in advance and appreciate your collective wisdom

Dave

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to SGL,

First, let me tell you that you re partner is lucky to be with someone as thoughtful as you. You ve come to the best place to get advice (although it's not gonna come from me 😉 ).

For your budget a good pair of bins is clearly the way to go. I cannot give you advice regarding which to choose but if I were you I would include a book dedicated to observing with bins.

If you were a french speaker, I would recommend this

https://www.stelvision.com/astro/boutique/coffret-ciel-aux-jumelles/

Maybe you should just quickly learn French 🙂 

• Like 1

Hi

For your budget, binoculars are the way to go, small, portable and the ability to give great views of the night sky.

You mentioned 15x70s, they are on the edge of being hand held and even then your arms will become tired quite quickly.  A tripod will be necessary to hold them steady for the best views.

I would recommend starting with 10x50 binoculars.  I believe they are the perfect instrument, light, great wide views and they will open up so much of the universe, clusters, galaxies, double stars and nebulae.  Additionally, they are great for viewing nature, birds, animals, etc.

Check out First Light Optics, they have a great range of binoculars and the guys there are only too willing to help.

• Like 3

The 130 table top flex tube is my suggestion it's really light weight and easy to use, just point it and look into ep.

Even if u do larger binos cause your holding them in your hand they will be shaky so viewing the moon Jupiter and Saturn dont be good unless u put them on a tripod.

Some people use a fence or other ojects to lean against to hold it steady,  then that's ok.

With a telescope u will see 1000s of more stuff probably push the power to 150x where u will see saturns rings jupiters red spot and 4 moons. Nebulas clusters and if theres not too much light pollution even galaxies. The moon u can zoom in any of the mountain ranges or craters. 

With 10 to 15 power  it's really the same as a finder scope view. At 10x Saturn will be oval abut I dont even think u can see the ring at 10 power.

There r a few nice big clusters in that range but u will need to know how to find them.

Edited by joe aguiar
  • Like 2

You can see plenty in 10x binoculars and don’t discount 8x ones either. Smaller, easier to hold to hold steady and can see very nearly as much. 

I use the Pentax 10 x 50 WP’s and they’re excellent. Can’t remember FLO’s price on them but they are thereabouts. The 8x42 will be cheaper and optically as good. 

Look at the rather fantastic Binocular Sky website and sign up to Steve’s excellent newsletter too. A free month by month guide to good binocular targets straight to your inbox :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daiboy1980 said:

Thank you for your response, and it is a shame my French is not up to star gazing standards, I can however order a Large beer!

I will await some Binocular recommendations.

French + Beer ... you are ready for Belgium my friend. You should pay us a visit!

• Like 2

binos have a place in astronomy but at that power you cant get close into the moon craters and mountain nor will you see a lot close up views if that's what the person giving it wants their partner to see. 

Can you see Jupiter or Saturn sure you can but they will be very small at that power, Saturn will be oval but the rings will be 1mm bump. Iam thinking the person wants to get some power and closer view like 50 power to 150 power.

there are few decent scopes out there like 

meade mini 114 dob

the 80mmf/5 refractor on camera tripod or az3 mount

130 skywatcher flextube 130

meade celestron and skywatcher all make these in that price range where they can power up the power and get close to the planerts sun and moon, and in this size they will see tons of other stuff.

maybe I will be the only saying going for a scope rather than binos here but that's ok

joejaguar

Edited by joe aguiar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, joe aguiar said:

binos have a place in astronomy but at that power you cant get close into the moon craters and mountain nor will you see a lot close up views if that's what the person giving it wants their partner to see. 

Can you see Jupiter or Saturn sure you can but they will be very small at that power, Saturn will be oval but the rings will be 1mm bump. Iam thinking the person wants to get some power and closer view like 50 power to 150 power.

there are few decent scopes out there like 

meade mini 114 dob

the 80mmf/5 refractor on camera tripod or az3 mount

130 skywatcher flextube 130

meade celestron and skywatcher all make these in that price range where they can power up the power and get close to the planerts sun and moon, and in this size they will see tons of other stuff.

maybe I will be the only saying going for a scope rather than binos here but that's ok

joejaguar

That sounds about right but I think that a book is necessary to start and those scopes won't fit with OP's budget. In addition, the eyepieces you get with those scope are trash so OP would have to spend a bit more cash to get at least a few decent plossls.

Second hand is often a good option. That would be worth looking at

• Like 1

I agree with you there used is good a lot times, and most times its still very good condition and you can get it close to half the price.

iam looking right now for a used flex tube either the 4.5" or the 130 as I mentioned to do a youtube video on

lastly tho if the 130 is a bit too much over the price of the poster here you can do as raph says try finding it used or look into maybe the 4.5" size

cheers

joejaguar

• Like 1

I think any of FLO's beginner recommendations are woth looking into and personally one of the Heritages or 200p would be a lovely present. The scopes come pretty much assembled and generally only need the finder attaching. They're all well made, very sturdy on their wooden Dobsonian mounts and look very attractive. The Heritages in particular can be packed up and stored away quite easily. There's a large knob for altitude tension adjustment and a nut and bolt for azimuth, so they're also as easy to use as the 200p. The little 76mm weighs in under 2kg, the larger 100mm just under 3kg and the 130mm just over 6kg.

• Like 1

For just a little over your budget, I would go for a Heritage 130P. A very compact little scope, built to a price yes, but with surprisingly capable optics. I bought one used a while back and have been very surprised by how well it performs.

Binoculars are often recommended at the lower budget end of the scale, but for me they will not start to show you planets and the moon, or other objects at a magnification that makes you go wow. The 130P will clearly show cloud belts on Jupiter and the rings around Saturn, plus a wealth of other stuff if you get it under a dark sky.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/heritage/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html

• Like 1

In that..."neither of us have any experience in setting up or calibrating viewing equipment"...I would think that a refractor, an achromat, would suit you best.  Unfortunately, in so far as compactness combined with performance and versatility, the Sky-Watcher "Startravel" offerings are too short, and those of the "Evostar" line are a bit too long.  Meade offers this 90mm f/6.7 achromat on an AZ-3 alt-azimuth mount...

https://www.picstop.co.uk/meade/meade-infinity-90mm-altazimuth-refractor-telescope.html?wgu=217_109047_1574904376426_d25af2eaa8&wgexpiry=1577496376&source=webgains&siteid=109047

Here are over 600 user-reviews of the Meade "Infinity" line in general... https://www.amazon.com/Meade-Instruments-Infinity-Refractor-Telescope/dp/B00LY8JWB0

Refractors require virtually no maintenance, and are ready to use once taken outdoors.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Alan64 said:

In that..."neither of us have any experience in setting up or calibrating viewing equipment"...I would think that a refractor, an achromat, would suit you best.  Unfortunately, in so far as compactness combined with performance and versatility, the Sky-Watcher "Startravel" offerings are too short, and those of the "Evostar" line are a bit too long.  Meade offers this 90mm f/6.7 achromat on an AZ-3 alt-azimuth mount...

https://www.picstop.co.uk/meade/meade-infinity-90mm-altazimuth-refractor-telescope.html?wgu=217_109047_1574904376426_d25af2eaa8&wgexpiry=1577496376&source=webgains&siteid=109047

Here are over 600 user-reviews of the Meade "Infinity" line in general... https://www.amazon.com/Meade-Instruments-Infinity-Refractor-Telescope/dp/B00LY8JWB0

Refractors require virtually no maintenance, and are ready to use once taken outdoors.

the only part I don't agree with is taking those positive reviews from amazon buyiers. or any other large big box store.

if someone reviewed a scope on here and has been in hobby long time and has several scope then I would rather hear that over 600 5 stars on amazon.

95% of them will be brand new people who have never used or used a scope and don't know whats good better not so good or garbage. people may get a new product and they will give it a 5 stars. the scope looks good and probally is BUT those brand new to the hobby deosnt know what to camper it to to be able to say its 5stars. they just give it that rating based on how it looks out of the box.

I made a video on this topic, my editing is not best and I don't rehearse anything and its a 20 min video. I also compare to scope an older model and a new one from amazon. iam not saying all amazon scope are no good but most times its cheaper price and have cheaper items.

also a lot times I see crazy prices on amazon I see ethos 21mm ep for sale on amazon for $8616 that's like $1200 in a scope store , also saw 2" TV diagonal $1600 again that's $400 in a store . some price don't make sence.

https://youtu.be/G6JFVD-ru5Q

• Like 1

8 hours ago, joe aguiar said:

the only part I don't agree with is taking those positive reviews from amazon buyiers. or any other large big box store.

if someone reviewed a scope on here and has been in hobby long time and has several scope then I would rather hear that over 600 5 stars on amazon.

95% of them will be brand new people who have never used or used a scope and don't know whats good better not so good or garbage. people may get a new product and they will give it a 5 stars. the scope looks good and probally is BUT those brand new to the hobby deosnt know what to camper it to to be able to say its 5stars. they just give it that rating based on how it looks out of the box.

I made a video on this topic, my editing is not best and I don't rehearse anything and its a 20 min video. I also compare to scope an older model and a new one from amazon. iam not saying all amazon scope are no good but most times its cheaper price and have cheaper items.

also a lot times I see crazy prices on amazon I see ethos 21mm ep for sale on amazon for $8616 that's like $1200 in a scope store , also saw 2" TV diagonal $1600 again that's $400 in a store . some price don't make sence.

https://youtu.be/G6JFVD-ru5Q

I do not read nor suggest those reviews in trying to make an item appear pretty as a picture.  One has to wade through them, analyse them.  The most critical reviews are the most helpful, of course, then to filter those out and read the positive, carefully.  For example, when I purchased this off of Amazon...

box4.jpg.40cbe1619b5829d50d6eea2d309e7f51.jpg

...and on purpose, it was only afterwards that I read the reviews.  I learned quite a bit as a result, and now I have a performance-driven example of the type.  My "favourite" reviews of that one were "I can't see anything!", and "All I see is black!"  Indeed, quite a few returned the kits.    

I also learned that I should never suggest it for those first starting out, as it required far too much work to get it to where I wanted it...

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/340294-celestron-powerseeker-127eq/

...but I expected, even knew, that, and before it had arrived.  My own arrived mis-collimated; no surprise.

In so far as the 90mm "Infinity" achromat, its bundled mount is dated, and eventually requires a bit of DIY to sustain it, to keep it propped up.  Then, Meade has released a new series, the "StarPro" line; the same telescopes, but perhaps with a superior alt-azimuth.  Yet look at this...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meade-Starpro-Refracting-Telescope-234003/dp/B07J5Q8NLR

The listing is dead, but then the series has not been out for very long.  Still, I can't find the kit anywhere else in the UK; hopefully soon, although not by Christmas I expect.  

I have the 90mm "Polaris"; the doublet is quite good, excellent even, and the focusser is entirely of metal(very important)...

OTA.jpg.efed0f06a9c588d82536575207b387a1.jpg

These entry-level refractor kits do require a separate purchase of a proper, star diagonal, as the one included, an Amici, is for daytime-terrestrial observations.  In addition, the included eyepieces, and the barlow if provided, are less than stellar, but will serve in the beginning.