Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Very early planning stage of a ROR your help and advice appreciated

Danjc

Looks like a good design you have there.  Just one comment - have you considered replacing the two internal stud partition walls with a simple single sheet of plywood (18-20mm thick)?  This will have similar strength (as in bracing the whole structure) even with a doorway cut into it and will gain you about 8-12 inches of extra useful internal space.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Bizibilder said:

Looks like a good design you have there.  Just one comment - have you considered replacing the two internal stud partition walls with a simple single sheet of plywood (18-20mm thick)?  This will have similar strength (as in bracing the whole structure) even with a doorway cut into it and will gain you about 8-12 inches of extra useful internal space.

I hadn't given that a thought tbf….I just figured that the internal stud walls would want to be as strong as possible especially the one between the warm room and scope room.

I do intend on insulating these though.

Edited by Danjc

I laid the floor sheets entirely inside the walls when I built mine.  I arranged everything to give me 2440mm between the insides of the walls so I didn't have to do much cutting.

The outsides of the walls are covered in membrane and then have feather-edge boards over the top.  Inside I screwed normal ply to the insides of the walls and painted it with masonry paint (with Celotex/Kingspan type insulation in the walls, roof and floor of the warm room).

James

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JamesF said:

I laid the floor sheets entirely inside the walls when I built mine.  I arranged everything to give me 2440mm between the insides of the walls so I didn't have to do much cutting.

The outsides of the walls are covered in membrane and then have feather-edge boards over the top.  Inside I screwed normal ply to the insides of the walls and painted it with masonry paint (with Celotex/Kingspan type insulation in the walls, roof and floor of the warm room).

James

Cheers James, thinking it through a few times I would be better to go the same way with the ply floor on the inside of the frame. It means a few more cuts but could pay dividends if for some reason I have to take up a section of floor. 
I take it you didn’t osb the outside and used diagonal braces in the framing ?

Scrap that question James I found your build thread 👍🏻

Dan. 

Edited by Danjc

• 1 month later...

Design looks good so far. Forgive the stupid question, but I'm assuming you've taken into account the timber lengths available, particularly for the roof spans!

As with a few others builders, my floor fits inside the side walls. I've had to take it up twice since completing my build, so I think doing it this way is absolutely essential IMO. I'd recommend using screws throughout your build wherever possible, rather than nails. So much easier to remove panels etc when screwed in place!

If you haven't already seen it, I've just resurrected my build thread which is now near the top of the posts. When you've got nothing better to do, I'd encourage you to scan through it (warning - it's not short!). I hope it gives you some ideas. If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to shout.

Kev

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The roof lengths are at 3640mm so all good. 
I had another think regarding the floor and the way forward is definitely to lay on the inside as if it does have to come up it’s not to much of a problem. 
I have read your thread and found a wealth of information that will help me when the time comes so I will be sure to catch up on your latest updates. 
Thanks for the offer of advice I will probably take you up on that 👍🏻

Dan. 

• Like 1