Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fifth Fundamental Force

Not sure if this has been posted before but it may be of interest. If I have understood it properly the paper sets out a case (University of California) for a fifth fundamental force. Apparently the possible presence of a fifth fundamental force has been discussed for some time (c1960s), I was completely unaware of this being blissfully secure and happy with thinking of only four :) . This latest paper would appear to offer a more confident expectation of a fifth force and, as seems to be the way now, may even offer a route to further understanding of the proposed dark energy.  It's the type of paper that I'm certainly going to need to read over several times even though it's fairly well written :) 

Jim

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1604.07411v1.pdf

Some other background reading 

Wikipedia - Fifth Force

Edited by saac
add other reference
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The paper describing the observation on which this is based gets a poor reception on Physics forum. It seems they come up with new breakthroughs all the time that are not substantiated .

Might be true but don't  hold your breath.

Work is ongoing in many areas "beyond the standard model" .

Regards Andrew 

• Like 1

Hold on! Back up!

In the last thread looking at the forces it seemed to be being argued, perhaps mischievously, that gravity isn't a force. So before we talk about a fifth force can we agree whether there 3 or 4 already known forces?

:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, andrew s said:

The paper describing the observation on which this is based gets a poor reception on Physics forum. It seems they come up with new breakthroughs all the time that are not substantiated .

Might be true but don't  hold your breath.

Work is ongoing in many areas "beyond the standard model" .

Regards Andrew 

I thought that may be the case Andrew, and rightly so, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence as Carl Sagan said.  I thought it unusual that they weren't offering evidence as such but rather a defence of the justification of a fifth force. Again I don't pretend to understand half of it;  still plodding my way through it .  I'm not rushing to renew my power point on the standard model yet :)

Jim 

Jim