Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Recycled lamp post as pier?

Swoop1

Has anyone out there tried this?

I had a thought that I might be able to tap up the local authority for a beyond seviceable use lamp post whch could be cut off and the bottom section used as the basis for a pier? Weld a plate on the bottom and a brake disk onn the top and, if possible, keep the access hatch to tidy away connections etc.

Am I being relaistic or just plain dumb?

• Like 2

I thinks it's a good idea,
but, most local authorities only remove them because they have been hit and
flattened by a vehicle, normally at the base - unless the vehicle was airborne!
Therefore the numbers for use will be very limited.
Also many LA's use lighting sub-contractors.

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Swoop1 said:

I had a thought that I might be able to tap up the local authority for a beyond seviceable use lamp post whch could be cut off and the bottom section used as the basis for a pier? Weld a plate on the bottom and a brake disk onn the top and, if possible, keep the access hatch to tidy away connections etc.

I assume that the lamp post is galvanised steel. Galvanised steel needs to be properly prepped (removing the galvanising from the area to be welded). If not, the weld puddle will blow out and cause a health hazard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cornelius Varley said:

I assume that the lamp post is galvanised steel. Galvanised steel needs to be properly prepped (removing the galvanising from the area to be welded). If not, the weld puddle will blow out and cause a health hazard.

More specifically I believe, heating the zinc forces zinc oxide into the air which can cause flu-like symptoms when inhaled.  At high levels I think it can be very unpleasant (even fatal), but any sane person would probably have stopped well before then.  I believe some respirators are suitable if you must do it and working outdoors may also help, but removing the zinc is probably the sensible option.  Or get someone else to do it :D

There's some specific name for the effects.  Something like "metal vapour sickness" perhaps; I can't recall exactly what -- I just remember being told about it when my son and I were being taught to weld.

James

• Like 2

My first pier was a length of 8 " diameter steel sewer pipe with a steel flange at one end. These circular flanges have pre-drilled holes. It was originally a 12 ft  length which was cut down to a suitable size by the scrap dealer. Although modern sewer pipe is plastic,the old metal pipe can still be seen rusting away in scrapyards....Dave

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Swoop1 said:

Mine is. Cut from the lower section above the hatch area. It was cleaned up before welding the pipe flanges and fins.

IMG_1385.thumb.JPG.f3e4938ea49b18de48d1c3d9f5ed6771.JPG

• Thanks 1

I would like to propose that most lamp posts be dismantled, sawn in half and the pieces put to better use in the kind of way you describe. 🙂👍🏻

Edited by JTEC
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

When our old street was "upgraded" to white light lamps, the old posts did not conform to the new (taller) EU standards so were all replaced.

As they were done under a PFI, the contractor would have taken them all away for disposal. I assume there must be thousands of similar posts removed so I guess the issue is tracking them down before they are melted and turned into bean tins or something.

But the idea does sound good. Big long piece of pipe, simply cut to size. As said, watch out for zinc coating though.

Gordon.

On 22/11/2019 at 23:34, JamesF said:

More specifically I believe, heating the zinc forces zinc oxide into the air which can cause flu-like symptoms when inhaled.  At high levels I think it can be very unpleasant (even fatal), but any sane person would probably have stopped well before then.  I believe some respirators are suitable if you must do it and working outdoors may also help, but removing the zinc is probably the sensible option.  Or get someone else to do it :D

There's some specific name for the effects.  Something like "metal vapour sickness" perhaps; I can't recall exactly what -- I just remember being told about it when my son and I were being taught to weld.

James

Thanks for this James- I wasn't aware of this risk beforehand.

On 23/11/2019 at 14:48, m.tweedy said:

Mine is. Cut from the lower section above the hatch area. It was cleaned up before welding the pipe flanges and fins.

IMG_1385.thumb.JPG.f3e4938ea49b18de48d1c3d9f5ed6771.JPG

Vey nice. What did you use to clean up the tube? Disc wheel grinder?

Edited by Swoop1
To actually write something- fat fingers!

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/11/2019 at 10:57, Swoop1 said:

Vey nice. What did you use to clean up the tube? Disc wheel grinder?

If I remember correctly yes it was some sort of grinder. It was not me who did the grinding. It seemed like a black tar like substance that needed cleaning off.,

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If worried about zinc oxide fumes when welding, just clean the surface with a file or angle grinder before hand and the fumes will be much reduced.   Should clean the area anyway before welding.   I would still wear the appropriate mask though.

• Like 1