Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

FLO

Welcome to the IKI Observatory

you cant fool me. This is Flo's attempt to pull the clouds down to southern Spain away from the UK so they can sell more kit. Its already working judging by Sat24

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I think this is a really good idea for all the reasons expressed by the FLO team. Bravo. Creative and generous thinking all round.

Olly

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tomatobro said:

you cant fool me. This is Flo's attempt to pull the clouds down to southern Spain away from the UK so they can sell more kit. Its already working judging by Sat24

It better not work.

Regards Andrew 

• Haha 2

Great initiative @FLO. I only see one major problem with this: one scope won't be enough. 😉

Wonderful initiative Grant and Ian!

I can see that it will bring some great discussions and suggestions about equipment and processing here on SGL, and giving those of us being under cloud cover (right now apparently eternal where I am) a welcome opportunity to keep up and improve our processing skills. And you will have a devoted crowd to test your new equiment! Everyone wins.

I am curious about the telescope - I cannot find it on the FLO site. What is the advantage of two ED lenses?

Hat's off to FLO for a brilliant idea and for offering the data for the SGL community to process.Also, For being a forward thinking and innovative company and what could also be very good marketing ploy. This will reverberate around astro communities worldwide and elevate the FLo website even further.

Steve

As every one else has posted, what a wonderful resource for the community thank you FLO I hope it brings many rewards to FLO.

thanks colin

• Like 1

I heard this news from Steve at IAS, and I can tell you for a fact my jaw rarely drops that far! A remarkably generous, exciting, and forward thinking project. what a resource for the community to have! 

• Like 1

This is really exciting!

I was helping the guys out at IAS and to get a close up of the kit was great! It looks amazing!

Great idea.  Looking forward to the data coming in !  I'd love to play with such data, although as Carole says, I'd be sure to say it wasn't my own.

It really is utterly dire in UK at the moment.  When you think about it, AP really is a crazy hobby to get involved in in the UK

4 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

It really is utterly dire in UK at the moment. 
When you think about it, AP really is a crazy hobby to get involved in in the UK

I think this should be broadened to just 'Astronomy' as a whole at present 

To be clear, I refer to the long run of cloud, not the hobby itself.

Edited by Alan White
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

When you think about it, AP really is a crazy hobby to get involved in in the UK

It is, and I've given up! In order to 'improve' I'd have to invest money, and I see no point.

Well done FLO on this new venture, I hope it's successful.

Ian

Edited by The Admiral

A very exciting development, I can see a lot of good things coming out of this, both for the astro community and for FLO. 👍

• Like 1

A very generous and exciting proposal. As I  have decreasing mobility and in the week of my 70th birthday, it struck me that the number of times I will be able to lift my 5inch refractor out of the house and onto its pier mount are decreasing each and every year and not only due to the appalling weather here on the east coast. Thank you very much FLO you are a class act and will now keep me astronomy active long after my telescope toting days are behind me.

Best regards from George in Lowestoft

• Like 1

I was thinking that we ought to have a separate dedicated imaging forum for the IKI downloaded data images so they can be kept separate from our own self captured images.  

It will also clearly showcase the results rather than getting them muddled up with regular images.

What do you think SGL Moderators?

Carole 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, carastro said:

I was thinking that we ought to have a separate dedicated imaging forum for the IKI downloaded data images so they can be kept separate from our own self captured images.  

It will also clearly showcase the results rather than getting them muddled up with regular images.

Carole 

Thanks Carole - I have referred it downstairs for discussion. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, carastro said:

Carole 

That's why we've created this new forum area specifically for IKI Observatory discussions :)

The idea is to use this area to share results, data and to collaborate on choosing targets and creating sequences.

• Like 1

Ah OK, so this is where the images should go then?

Also where we can download the data (when the time comes)? 

Carole

12 minutes ago, carastro said:

Ah OK, so this is where the images should go then?

Also where we can download the data (when the time comes)? 

Carole

Yes 🙂

The data will be hosted somewhere and we will share the access details on here. We are still deciding the best way to offer the data at the moment but I suspect we will end up offering publicly the integrated, calibrated master lights that can then be processed from there.

If anybody wants access to the raws, we can look at that but I have concerns around the amount of bandwidth this might consume!!

I think remote imaging is the way forward for a lot of people. Conditions here are far too often unusable, what with our dreadful weather and even worse light pollution.

If anybody wants access to the raws, we can look at that but I have concerns around the amount of bandwidth this might consume!!

I'd prefer the Raws myself if it is going to be possible. 

Carole 

The internet link to castillejar is limited and via satellite so I do all my pre processing on my local machine to limit the data transfer. Mark you I took 1852 x32 Mb images last night!  Most likely none will be transferred as I am looking for transient flares.

Regards Andrew 

Edited by andrew s

Absolutely wonderful.  Looking forward continuing my PI odyssey using the data. 

On 25/11/2019 at 11:15, Mr Spock said:

I think remote imaging is the way forward for a lot of people. Conditions here are far too often unusable, what with our dreadful weather and even worse light pollution.

The weather certainly suggests so, but the price seems to be so steep, and the gear hosted is often very high end, making it inaccessible for a lot of people.