SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Solar imaging issue

Like many people, I tried imaging the Sun's disk on Nov 11.

Equipment: 127mm Maksutov, full aperture solar filter, EQ5 driven mount, Celestron Neximage solar system imager camera & ASI120MC camera.

My main difficulty was that sunshine/bright daylight and laptop screens don't go together well. I could not see what I was doing with the Neximage at all, so could not get it in focus, and only managed to focus the 120MC on the limb after a lengthy struggle, and then image a part of the sun with Mercury. 

My question is: how do you experienced solar imagers manage?

Hi Geoff, I stick my laptop in a box and also wear a black T shirt so I create less reflection of me on the screen, the one thing that transforms focusing is a motor focuser, doesn't need to be anything flash just a cheap stepper motor and home made control knob or if you're feeling more adventurous an Arduino based one, you can then hide under a shield and focus remotely.

A few how to instructions around the place.

Dave

• Like 1

Put the computer in a cardboard box on its side, or similar, to create a shade and then use a blanket / hood / fleece / sheet or whatever to cover your head and the box... you look like a complete idiot, but it’s dark enough under it all to clearly see the screen. It’s fun trying to find the focus knob with your hand when you’ve got your head under the cover, but it works!!

• Like 2

On 20/11/2019 at 09:08, PhotoGav said:

use a blanket / hood / fleece / sheet or whatever to cover your head and the box... you look like a complete idiot

You do, but fortunately you can't see everyone laughing at you, so it's all good :)

James

You can also get things like this:

spacer.png

Or they're really not hard to make from some card, plastic sheet, or a cardboard box.  I like plastic sheet, personally.  You can buy black sheets in varying sizes from Amazon or Ebay.  I think mine came from Ebay last time.

Of course these days I have an observatory so I don't need one.  Because the Sun hasn't actually made it through the clouds for three months.

James

That is the one I use £3 from ikea. Had to cut holes in the left had side for USB port access but its only cardboard behind the cloth.

I used mine for a few times until my wife pointed out that there is a lift up panel to stiffen the zippered back cloth...........☝️

• Thanks 1