Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ground Work Question

Nigella Bryant

I think those conifers are still healthy, its just that the lower greenery on yopur side has eiothe been cut away or other vegetation thatw as growing there and stunted growth in that area has been cleared.

I have a conifer right outside my patio doors. When we moved in the bit nearest us was full of ivy. We cleaned out the ivy which left a big bald empty spot. It took about 10 years for the conifer to spread and fill.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Swoop1 said:

Looking at your proposed sites, position two looks favourite- a bit higher and more sheltered.

Yeah, Swoop, I'm inclined to agree. Also once I've trimmed back the conifers back, I'll be able to see what I'm playing with. I've looked at the road side and there's no bare patches so agree that the hedge is better than I first thought so will give it a trim only. 

Hi Nigella,

Looks like you have a bit of work to do there... Good luck with the land clearence. (A chainsaw is your friend !!!)

It would help with positioning if you could do a rough sketch of the surroundings - house, neighbours, etc, plus slope of the land wrt North, South, etc.

Gordon.

• Thanks 1

On 22/11/2019 at 22:05, Nigella Bryant said:

Yeah, Swoop, I'm inclined to agree. Also once I've trimmed back the conifers back, I'll be able to see what I'm playing with. I've looked at the road side and there's no bare patches so agree that the hedge is better than I first thought so will give it a trim only. 

I think they will recover, if only slowly. They are surprisingly resilient so and so's, as anyone who has tried to get rid of Leylandii will tell you! Give them clear space and they will grow into it.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Bukko said:

Hi Nigella,

Looks like you have a bit of work to do there... Good luck with the land clearence. (A chainsaw is your friend !!!)

It would help with positioning if you could do a rough sketch of the surroundings - house, neighbours, etc, plus slope of the land wrt North, South, etc.

Gordon.

Looking at the satellite view on Google Maps zoomed in to the maximum gives a good overview of the surroundings.

1 hour ago, old_eyes said:

Looking at the satellite view on Google Maps zoomed in to the maximum gives a good overview of the surroundings.

Only helps if you have the Lat/Long... Please don't publish though

G.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bukko said:

Hi Nigella,

Gordon.

Thanks Gordon, I've just bought a chainsaw, lol. Yeah good idea about making a plan. I'll be measuring up once I've trimmed everything back. 

5 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Thanks Gordon, I've just bought a chainsaw, lol. Yeah good idea about making a plan. I'll be measuring up once I've trimmed everything back. 

Just keep the  chain out of the ground, will blunt the teeth really quickly.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bukko said:

Just keep the  chain out of the ground, will blunt the teeth really quickly.

Thanks Gordon, never used one before so it'll be interesting, lol. Most of the trees need cutting back. I've a monkey puzzle tree in the back garden which also needs the lower branches removed. I might put myself up as a tree surgeon after, lol. 

As you're right up against your boundary, note that "permitted development" regulations will limit you to a total height of 2.5 metres above ground level. Where ground level is in your case could be a moot point

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, DaveS said:

As you're right up against your boundary, note that "permitted development" regulations will limit you to a total height of 2.5 metres above ground level. Where ground level is in your case could be a moot point

Yeah, from the road the conifers are 6ft whilst from my side of the garden they're 9ft. The existing shed roof is only just visible from the road. I plan not to go higher than the existing shed. I think I might not to have to build up much as the dome is 1.7m. 

• Like 1

A little bit of clear sky for 10mins so had a quick go at what could be seen from the intended site of the observatory. Just managed two 30sec image with my mobile phone before it rained again this evening. Seems not bad, stars are really bright, could easily see the M31 galaxy directly. Can just make it out on one of the images. No light intrusion on the site from the two street lights and it's dark. Cloud's illuminated from some further street lights. All in all I think it's a good place to place the dome. Images looking south according to skysafari at the moment of the image were taken. It is right of the two right hand side star's of the square of pegasus. Looks like I won't have an horizon view at the South west to North horizon but views of everything else. 

PSX_20191126_195727.jpg

PSX_20191126_195436.jpg

Edited by Nigella Bryant
Comments added.
  • Like 3

On 24/11/2019 at 15:45, Nigella Bryant said:

Hope this quick sketch makes sense, obviously not exactly to scale. It's of the side of the bungalow. No property near by. There is a shed that's been built on the bank which I plan to use as a warm room. 

IMG_20191124_154208.jpg

What are the chances of the Camelia surviving the dome build? They can grow pretty high and looks to be due south... Practice on the smaller conifers first, before turning the chainsaw on it...

Good luck with the build and I am looking forward to the thread growing..

Gordon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1