Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IAS 2019 Tour Video (If you didn't make it, take the virtual tour!)

Chris

3 hours ago, DaveS said:

Couldn't watch it on my computer / screen as I got loads of macroblocking that I found very distracting, probably just my ancient lump.

I'm having real problems with this actually :(It looks fine on a mobile devices or in normal YT format, but as soon as you stick it on full screen on a laptop you get the jaggies :(

When I edit videos on Movavi the quality looks great. The problem seems to happen when I export/rendor movies. I've tried MP4, MOV and AVI formats and AVI looks slightly better than the former. I set all export settings to high and best quality. I've got a reasonably decent camera (Pany Lumix GH3 - semi pro level camera not so long back) Recorded in 1080p 25fps with a shutter speed of 1/50 complying with the 180 rule.

I need to check the bit rate of my camera in the above setting but the footage looks so nice until I export it so I think it's file compression :(

Not sure what to do about it? :( 

Edited by Lockie

5 hours ago, DaveS said:

Couldn't watch it on my computer / screen as I got loads of macroblocking that I found very distracting

Ah, finally I've figured out what's wrong! When rendering in Movavi it defaults to VBR which apparently stand for variable bit rate. It's not obvious but you have to setup a custom bit rate. 

It's too late for this video without doing another 8 hours of editing and applying lots of warp stabilisation, but I'll know for the next video :) 

Ah. It's been a while since I did any, even halfway-serious, video work, but I used to edit in Avid (Media Composer in the end), export as a QT Reference file and compress in Sorrensen Squeeze (Various versions, now up to 11). Loads of options there. I still have all the software on my office computer, including Boris Continuum Complete, DVD authoring and Smartsound Pro.

1 hour ago, DaveS said:

Ah. It's been a while since I did any, even halfway-serious, video work, but I used to edit in Avid (Media Composer in the end), export as a QT Reference file and compress in Sorrensen Squeeze (Various versions, now up to 11). Loads of options there. I still have all the software on my office computer, including Boris Continuum Complete, DVD authoring and Smartsound Pro.

More than one way of skinning a cat then. I've never come across any of these bits of software!

Edited by Lockie

Sorry for hijacking your thread Chris.

I watched your vid on my 'phone and it looked better, though the "Ark" showed the macroblocking, probably the compression engine didn't have enough detail to push the bit rate up.

Never mind, it was very enjoyable with much to ponder. Pity though, that you didn't capture anything at Astrograph, I particularly wanted to see if they had the Planewave mount there. Seeing the Rainbow harmonic drive mount was interesting.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DaveS said:

Sorry for hijacking your thread Chris.

I watched your vid on my 'phone and it looked better, though the "Ark" showed the macroblocking, probably the compression engine didn't have enough detail to push the bit rate up.

Never mind, it was very enjoyable with much to ponder. Pity though, that you didn't capture anything at Astrograph, I particularly wanted to see if they had the Planewave mount there. Seeing the Rainbow harmonic drive mount was interesting.

Cheers Dave, I had 74 minutes of footage total so there could have been more Astrograph footage in there somewhere. Can't recall a plane wave mount though unfortunately? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m.tweedy said:

I have been waiting for this to come out. Thank you, I enjoyed it on my TV. It seemed to work fine for me.

Glad to be of service :) I'm surprised but glad it looked fine on a TV! The footage does intermittently show macro blocking when the camera pans too quickly but at least I've solved this for next years IAS. 

p.s. As a Radiographer I dig your avatar!

Edited by Lockie