Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IAS 2019 Tour Video (If you didn't make it, take the virtual tour!)

Chris

Hi all :) 

If anyone didn't make it to the IAS 2019 in Warwickshire the other day, I've put together this video tour with interviews and demos by vendors. 

I massive thank you to the organisers and vendors for allowing me to film. Everyone was really friendly, and it was a great atmosphere. I'm really pleased to have finally met some SGLr's in person (Ade, Mark, Helen, and Mr Spock to name a few) as well as Steve, Grant & Rob from FLO and IKI. :icon_salut:

Anyway here's the video:

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5

8 minutes ago, Alan White said:

"Has made me realise I had missed that Rainbow Astro mount though."

You weren't the only one, I missed it too! Too busy 'drooling' over other bits of kit! One to look out for in 2020.

Great video Chris, thanks for sharing. Felt like I was back there again!

Chaxastro

"Humour is reason gone mad" Grouch Marx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Saganite said:

That was excellent Chris, just very sorry that my efforts to get there were thwarted, but next time !....:happy11:

Ah thanks Steve, glad you enjoyed it :) I hope it took the edge off not being able to go, and yes, next time!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

Another great video Chris, bring back the show.
Keep the videos coming along, shame I missed you.
Has made me realise I had missed that Rainbow Astro mount though.
Too busy fondling the AZ100 mount.

Thanks Alan :) Yeah the Rainbow Astro mount was in the back right corner on the IKI stand with Rob (he was a really nice chap), and I too had a fondle of the AZ100, it was silky smooth! I took loads of video of the AZ100 and interviewed the guys but I had audio problems so couldn't include that footage :( I meant to though. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, chaxastro said:

Great video Chris, thanks for sharing. Felt like I was back there again!

Chaxastro

"Humour is reason gone mad" Grouch Marx

Thanks mate :) I remember searching for astrofest footage shortly after the event last year and I initially couldn't find hardly anything. I just think it's nice to see a vid if you can't make it yourself :) 

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

Thanks Chris, excellent video particularly as I couldn't get up there myself!

Stu, this makes me happy, not that you couldn't go of course, just that the video has served it's purpose :) 

• Like 2

@Lockie Thanks, Chris, for taking the time to do that.  I couldn't go this time. I'd been looking forward to it for months and then events intervened. Your video gave a good flavour of the show. Interesting to hear about the Rainbow mount and FLO's project to sell its own brand ED telescopes. 🙂 

excellent @Lockie got to say the rainbow Astro mount is an impressive bit of kit...  Lots of lovely scopes and astro fair..  amazing to how see the likes of @FLO atik RVO take these events so seriously, professionally but with a touch of "one big family" too.. feels like the astronomy is in a good place currenlty!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Fozzie said:

excellent @Lockie got to say the rainbow Astro mount is an impressive bit of kit...  Lots of lovely scopes and astro fair..  amazing to how see the likes of @FLO atik RVO take these events so seriously, professionally but with a touch of "one big family" too.. feels like the astronomy is in a good place currenlty!

I can't believe how easy that tiny Rainbow Astro mount was flinging that Esprit about! Pricey though at £3,800 so I'm hoping as the tech becomes more mainstream for astronomy the prices might come down a bit?

Yes! it was a wonderful atmosphere and so nice to be surrounded by like minded people, astro does feel in a good place :) I'm a bit worried about Elon's satellite fleet though :( 

• Like 1

Great video Chris, I so nearly went, I had planned to drop the family off at the local castle so I could walk around the show in peace for a while, but I decided that the 340 miles round trip was not worth it for just a couple  of hours. Your video just proves that I should make the effort next year - looked like a wonderful gathering of our astro community. Great to see the retail stalwarts of FLO, RVO, Widescreen and our fantastic UK designers and manufacturers producing some outstanding kit. 

oh, love the hat. 😎

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Lockie said:

I think there's only about 60 so far, but he's planning tens of thousands. 

Oh, I know.  But anything is better than having to look at the underside wall-to-wall cloud :(

James

2 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Great video Chris, I so nearly went, I had planned to drop the family off at the local castle so I could walk around the show in peace for a while, but I decided that the 340 miles round trip was not worth it for just a couple  of hours. Your video just proves that I should make the effort next year - looked like a wonderful gathering of our astro community. Great to see the retail stalwarts of FLO, RVO, Widescreen and our fantastic UK designers and manufacturers producing some outstanding kit. 

oh, love the hat. 😎

lol Thanks, the hat's from Tesco's, in fact I have 3 in different colours so will wear a different colour next year :D I don't know if you could wing a solo trip next year? As a fellow family man it was so nice to have some me time :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paul M said:

I  enjoyed the virtual tour. I wasn't there but I thought I saw me a few times! Maybe I was....?

Anyway, too far for me but it looked very nice. Some awesome gear these days!

It's good to know your doppelganger also enjoys astronomy :D 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Lockie said:

As a fellow family man it was so nice to have some me time

Ha, don't I know it! I had a business trip away last week and had a night in a Premier Inn - the best night's sleep I have had in years - at home in my overcrowded bed, I have to put up with an elbow* in the back, a foot* in the face and a narrow six inch tract at the edge of the bed on which to sleep! 😁 I shall start negotiations for next year's trip!

* From my 5 year old, not my wife!

• Haha 1