Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M76

mikemabel

My first image of M76 A bit rushed as clear nights are a rarity now

30x120s Bin 2 Luminance ,SW 102 , ZWO 183MM Pro , OVL field flattener ,guided , processed in Gimp

Took some Ha as well but poor results for some reason

Seems an Oiii filter may have brought out some more detail

i know its not great but just chuffed to have imaged it

M76 No Ha.jpg

M76 No Ha_C.jpg

Edited by mikemabel
pic problem
  • Like 3

It will stand out more when you get some coloured narrowband in there.   Looks like the 183mm is a sensitive beast, what temperature below ambient do you run it  ??

I imaged this for the first time this year as well.   I trusted the accuracy of the mount to get me locked on, and there it was hiding behind the low level noise.  Such a satisfying feeling, I can empathise with you being chuffed.  Makes you feel for one short moment that you have this hobby sorted.......

It was set to -10C using the latest APT which has improved support for ZWO cameras now. To be honest it was so cold i could have done without it !!

I agree about the feeling but i rush things now due to the weather.  i got runtime errors using CDC and eqmod and nearly gave up

if you would kindly post your image as well

Cheers Mike

Wow something to aim for ! Well done

i will have to invest in a complete HST set of filters. M31 is also on my list to do well with my modified 450D though i may try a 

mosaic image  with my 183..... a zwo dual narrowband filter looks interesting

How do you find imaging with a newt ? i have looked at getting a 150pds 

The newt is a real photon grabber.    It is heavy and will take out low flying aircraft as it slews around the garden but it will put down an image of a faint DSO within  a 30 second sub, whereas my 80mm refractor  needs a good deal longer.   Collimation is not tricky once you set up a routine and have the right tools handy.  The main issue is the sheer weight of it.   Even on an EQ6 it does need a bit of TLC to get all the rotating axes in balance and the motors not screaming !!!  especially if you have guiders, mini-pc's and usb hubs hanging off it as well.

The 150pds is a great scope to get you started with reflectors.   There are some quite remarkable pictures taken with this scope.    Go on to  astrobin.com   and do a search of what people have done.    I sure there will be an imager out there who has got a 183mm with the 150 PDS. 

I look forward to seeing your results.

sean.