Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

daz

Difference between a PM and a Profile message

Hi all

We've seen an increase in members using the Profile message comments in order to contact another member, and while it may be obvious to some, I thought I would just point out the difference here.....

• Private (Direct) Message - As it's name suggests, this is a private message between you and the other party. No-one else can see this message
  • Profile Message - This is displayed on the right hand side of the main index, and is visible to all.

We're not saying that you should use one over the other - it's your choice - but not everyone has the Profile notification setting switched on, but most will have the PM notification switched on,

Just be aware of posting things like contact details when using the Profile Message! If you're happy using this, no problem at all.

Just wanted everyone to be clear on the two...

Clear skies!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I wonder how many members reading the Admin. post, are saying to themselves,
'Crikey, I wasn't aware of that'. 😬
But then,  there may be none at all.

Sorry Daz, I can't see anything called Profile message.

There is the little "voice bubble" labelled message if you put the cursor on it (above the twitter symbol) on the home page, so I presume that is private.

I presume what you mean as profile message is the message button when you click on a members name and it's a button marked message on there.  I had no idea this wasn't private, I just thought it was an alternative way of sending a message.

Carole 

I think it's this:

public.png.5903c11aa6abcef85dad8cae470b61ac.png

Thanks yes I could see that one was a public message. 

So am I right then that this one is a private message?

Sorry should have done a better colour than yellow.

Carole 

SGL message.jpg

Edited by carastro

Yes Carole, your yellow arrow points to the private message button. Such a message can only be read by you, the addressees and the moderators (I assume). 

• Like 1

On 01/12/2019 at 19:39, Ruud said:

Yes Carole, your yellow arrow points to the private message button. Such a message can only be read by you, the addressees and the moderators (I assume). 

The moderators can't read private messages, unless for some reason you need to report the message to us.

Would it not be simpler  to change "Message" to "Private Message" then, just to remove any misunderstandings  and then also  "Profile Message" to "Public Profile Message".

Derek 😀