Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Thalestris24

Planetarium Projectors

A quick update! I had a bit of a moment last Friday night and ordered a projector from Amazon on a 'Black Friday' spot deal. I'm sure Amazon and co know just what I'm thinking! It's a cheap Chinese job but supposedly projects 1080p though I'm not sure if it quite does, but I'll have to double check the settings. Here's a brief clip taken with an old mobile phone. The sound is actually from speakers rather than the projector itself. Anyway, seems not too bad considering. It's bigger (about 30cm x 28cm x 11cm) and heavier (around a couple of kg) than I expected. I reckon the main lens could make a half decent scope ha ha - it is in fact about 80mm in diameter! The image size in the clip is about 112cm horizontally and that's about as big as it can go on that bit of wall. On another wall it could go several times larger - I'll have a play when I get time. If it actually keeps going it should be quite good for watching some Christmas movies on :). I like to watch the Muppet Christmas Carol on C4 every year :) . It disappears under bright room light and probably wouldn't be much cop on a sunny day with the blinds open... But in low room light (40W bulb) it's fine. The fan is noticeable but not too bad and the issuing warm air will probably help to warm the room a bit.

Louise 

• Like 1

I think I'm really enjoying this projector! It frees up my PC monitor and lets me lay back and watch from a distance. Must be better for my eyes too. Why didn't I think of doing this before?

Louise

• Like 1