SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Planetarium Projectors

Thalestris24

A quick update! I had a bit of a moment last Friday night and ordered a projector from Amazon on a 'Black Friday' spot deal. I'm sure Amazon and co know just what I'm thinking! It's a cheap Chinese job but supposedly projects 1080p though I'm not sure if it quite does, but I'll have to double check the settings. Here's a brief clip taken with an old mobile phone. The sound is actually from speakers rather than the projector itself. Anyway, seems not too bad considering. It's bigger (about 30cm x 28cm x 11cm) and heavier (around a couple of kg) than I expected. I reckon the main lens could make a half decent scope ha ha - it is in fact about 80mm in diameter! The image size in the clip is about 112cm horizontally and that's about as big as it can go on that bit of wall. On another wall it could go several times larger - I'll have a play when I get time. If it actually keeps going it should be quite good for watching some Christmas movies on :). I like to watch the Muppet Christmas Carol on C4 every year :) . It disappears under bright room light and probably wouldn't be much cop on a sunny day with the blinds open... But in low room light (40W bulb) it's fine. The fan is noticeable but not too bad and the issuing warm air will probably help to warm the room a bit.

Louise 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, heliumstar said:

I was looking at projectors recently but couldn't actually decide due to just huge amount of options and just let it for some other time. Can you link to the one you bought please.

Hi

It was this one which is now 'unavailable'? Similar ones are linked to it. I've no idea how many (Chinese) Lumens it really is. As I said, I got it cheap (£142) - not sure I'd pay the full list price for it. It's quite big and heavy and either needs something tall to place it on else a ceiling attachment. Also, I don't know what it's power consumption is.

Louise