SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Meteor shower Monocerotids

I am not hopeful as the weather is awful and I have a terrible track record with seeing meteor showers but this is coming up.

Monocerotids meteor shower. Obviously radiating from the constellation Monoceros. Peak activity is early morning 4:30 am  21/22nd November for observers in Western Europe. For those of you new to this Monoceros is the constellation to the left of Orion and the radiant is not far from the star Procyon in Canis Minor just above Monoceros.

I only flagged this up, as there is a possible ZHR of 400 or more. This shower in the past has reached storm proportions reaching 1000 an hour!!! Problem is the peak of the shower or storm hopefully, will last about thirty minutes there or there about’s.

For once this year, as an added bonus, the moon although around will not make a huge impact on viewing. If I have clear skies then I am setting up the DSLR for wide field, that’s for sure. I hope that many of you get clear skies for this one despite the bleary eyes of a three thirty alarm call. 

Marvin

credit where credit is due, only right. I saw this on Sky and Telescope website.

Edited by Marvin Jenkins
Giving credit to the source of the info
  • Like 5

My weather app shows total cloud cover and rain. (Really, i'd never have believed that ! 😃)

But these apps have a habit of forecasting what we've just had weatherwise and things can change between now and then. Its too early to tell.

Fingers x'ed ; you never know.

If it looks promising i'll be out to see it. I'll forever regret it if its a spectacular showing.

• Like 1

Good luck to all of you. I don’t hold out hope for myself, but I sometimes think of this as a group effort, so if anyone anywhere gets some shots I would love to see them on here.

As we all know Thursday is a long way away, so the weather may flip and bring us all crystal clear skies, fingers crossed.

Marvin