Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Sun's Greatest Mysteries - Andover AS 21 November

MarkRadice

Andover AS: The sun’s greatest mysteries: get to know our nearest star like never before

21 November from 1930

Grateley Village Hall

The Sun is many things: beauty, beacon, battery, belligerent. It’s the biggest thing for light-years around and yet we actually know relatively little about it.

That’s changing thanks to an armada of new spacecraft recently lofted into the solar system to scrutinise the Sun in unprecedented detail. In a talk packed full of jaw-dropping images and videos, Colin Stuart will be your guide on a journey deep into the heart of our nearest star.

Colin writes:

I’m an astronomy speaker and author who has talked to over half a million people about the universe, ranging from schools and the public to conferences and businesses. My fifteen books have sold more than 300,000 copies worldwide and been translated into 19 languages. I’ve written over 200 popular science articles for publications including The Guardian, New Scientist, The Wall Street Journal and European Space Agency.

In recognition of my efforts to popularise astronomy, the asteroid (15347) Colinstuart is named after me. In 2014 I was awarded runner-up in the European Astronomy Journalism Prize and I’m a Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society. I’ve talked about the wonders of the universe on Sky News, BBC News and Radio 5Live and been quoted in national newspapers including The Daily Telegraph and The Observer.

Member’s Talk

After the talk there will be a brief member’s talk on Imaging the Far Side of the Moon.

If the weather is clear we will then head out for some observing.

Christmas Meeting

December 19 sees our annual Christmas meeting.  We will have 5 minute member’s talks on anything astronomy related . In addition to the presentations, we will have nibbles and a bring & buy sale.

http://www.andoverastronomy.org.uk/