Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
Ags

Big northern targets

I am looking for targets for my camera lenses. They need to be north of Orion. I know about North America Nebula, California Nebula, the Veil, the Pleiades, Heart and Soul, M31... But what else covers a few degrees of sky? 

It's not a specific nebula, but the region around Sadre is a very rich NB target, especially if you can give it plenty of exposure. Somewhat smaller and still (Just) north of Orion, the Rosette is a good few degrees across.

• Like 1

I'd forgotten about the region around Sadr! 

Is there anything in Spring to early Summer? 

Edited by Ags

Spring to early summer is really galaxy season.  Very little in the sky except the circumpolar stuff which is a bit low then anyway.

Carole 

Can I suggest you get the atlas C-du-C and download the the SH 2 catalogue, I did this and was shocked how much there is that I never knew of, some of these targets are very large but need a lot of time to bring them out.

Alan 

3 hours ago, alan potts said:

Can I suggest you get the atlas C-du-C and download the the SH 2 catalogue, I did this and was shocked how much there is that I never knew of, some of these targets are very large but need a lot of time to bring them out.

Alan 

I found this , its brilliant, 

Sharpless Catalogue

Roger

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good find Roger, if nothing else it is valuable for the co-ordinates for targets as I often have a big search on to find to find them.

Carole 

I've imaged one or two objects from the Sharpless Catalogue over the years.

• Like 1