SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Used SWED 80 what to look for

Hi, that was wasted as a guide scope!

I had one for a few years and only sold it to upgrade to a triplet. The optics are excellent; don't worry if they are slightly dusty - it's inevitable and doesn't significantly impair the view/image.

The main weakest point is the stock focuser and how it is fitted (three screws); it is serviceable but benefits from an update - either to the SW upgrade or third party. I found that the stock focuser needed adjustment to optimise traction and hold - there's an excellent guide on the web and will see if I can track it down again. You just need to check that it runs smoothly in/out.

I also found that the 3 screw fitting left it slightly out of collimation - this can readily be check/adjusted by creating a suitably-sized card circle using a set of compasses which leaves a hole in the centre; I took the dewshield off and put the circle just inside ahead of the lenses. If you put a (collimated) laser collimator in the focuser it should should shine straight through the hole in the card - if not slacken off the fitting screws and adjust the fitting before re-tightening them.

These are minor issues for what is an excellent scope - go for it, you'll enjoy it!

P.S. You'll need a reducer/flattener for imaging but that's true of all such scopes.

• Like 3

i have the skywatcher gold pro version, so really like any scope some dust on front os ok hopfully its clean b4 u pick it up, hopfuly no or almost no dust on the inside of the lens worse is in between lenses.

but really after that scraches on tube (outside) not a big deal altho norm price should reflect that. i found the 2" crayford focuser to be fine altho i dont image.

i paid 400 for mine with the case ep finder diagonal rings and bar

joejaguar

Don't worry too much about dust on a used scope. It's bound to pick some up over the years. Do look for improper cleaning and scratches. Large numbers of fine scratches from cleaning with an abrasive cloth are a bigger problem. Having said that though although scratches lower the price a couple of smaller scratches will not effect performance. Look for pits and damage to the flat of the focus tube as may result from over tightening. It it running smoothly. Apart from that it's just general condition. Generally collimation is solid with these scopes. 

Hi Steve

First of all welcome from Land Down Under

I have SW ED80 on a EQ5pro mount now for about 10 years

Been very reliable, and use for solar viewing as well

Just recently purchased WiFi adapter, which takes the guess work out of setting your GPS location, date/time, as the APP takes straight from your Android or Apple device

The attached pic was taken at a recent solar viewing day with my club

Scope in background is also an ED80 on a HEQ5 mount

Unfortunately, we were not able to observe the Transit of Mercury where were were

John

Skywatcher ED80.jpg

Screenshot SynScan APP.jpg

SynScan wifi adaptor.jpg