Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

MOON ON N EDGE OF HYADES THIS EVENING - LOOK AS SOON AS YOU CAN SEE THE MOON

paulastro

Sorry about the short notice, I'd forgotten about this!  May be worth a look if you have a clear horizon as soon as the Moon is up despite the Moon being only just past full  - best in binoculars or small refractor with wide field.  Look asap as the Moon will be moving further away.

• Like 2

It looks like the Moon's closest approach to Aldebaran is well after midnight so not too much of a rush. It's a bright old Moon too so my old eyes won't pick out the Hyades in the glare. 

Will still be nice to see the pairing with Aldebaran. I'm working a night shift tonight so I'll not be able to miss it if the sky remains clear.

I actually managed to get a view from  7.10 -  7.30,  I also managed to get Aldebaran in the same field as the Moon.  I used a 32mm/70degree eyepiece and 2inch erecting present to get a 'right way round' view with my SW 72ED.  I'm not sure I'll be up to look out again at 3.08 in the morning though Stu :smile:.

• Like 1

Managed a couple more views before bed. I was really taken with the detail on the Moon. I’ve started to think of the Moon as a bit boring when it’s full but at lower powers it’s got lots to show. Just needed a shift of perspective to bring it to life!

• Like 2