Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Found a deal

On a Meade f4 LDX75 8'' S-N UHTC plus GOTO.

But...it comes with a 6x30 finder scope rather than a 8x50 that seems pretty common for other places that sell the same model scope.

Is it worth skimping on this or is the larger finder scope really that valuable?

Depends how much you are paying....

My business revolves around Meade, so if you haveany questions please feel free to fire them this way.  :lol:

Cheers..

Is this worth the savings or am I better of paying full price elsewhere and getting the larger finderscope?

http://www.telescopeplanet.co.uk/ProductListing.asp?cat_name=Reflector%20Telescopes%20--%20Telescopes&cat_code=25&subcat_code=181

Black & Lizar can do me the package with the larger finderscope for £1049.99. Maybe I could get better if I search a little more but these prices were at first pass.

Seems a bit pricey for a 8" S/N (even warehouse express are offering one cheaper) - It doesn't really matter regarding the finder they generally do a similar job.

Have I missed something? :?

Telescope planet offer it with the smaller finder and coated optics for £980 and warehouse express have it for £989 without the UHTC but with the larger finder from what I can see.

edit...you mean black and lizar prices

In all honest if you are going to spend £800 - £900 on a scope, I'd go for a secondhand LX90 8". Fantastic scope, you may even pick one up for £750 if your lucky.

I have looked at these but not too much due to the price.

Apart from being compact and more portable, what can they offer over the LDX?

Whilst tempting, I am reluctant to purchase anything of that value, reagardless of what it is, unless I can see it. Proably got about 5 years forum experience under my belt from my other hobby and buying something without seeing it or knowing the seller is often a risk. I've seen worse case and when they post about it..we all say...did you see it, did you check it over? :roll:

So far..I am still sticking with the 8'' LDX reflector.

There is sound advice being posted here Andy.

The 8" SN LXD75 is a wonderful scope, particularly well suited for deepsky and imaging.

I agree with Damien when he suggests the 8" SCT LX90 as a better allround scope.

Yes, of course you should see the scope first, better still - hire one. I don't think anyone here has, or would, suggest different.

Of course, no scope is perfect - they are all a compromise - and there are things you will like and dislike about whichever model you choose.

Knowing what I know now and knowing who I know - If you know what I mean... (On this forum!!) :?

Then I would have to take the advice and rent a couple for a weekend, then make up your own mind...You have to make your own choice.. and be happy with it. You'll probably end up with a couple of scopes anyway. We all do!!

Greg

There is sound advice being posted here Andy.

The 8" SN LXD75 is a wonderful scope, particularly well suited for deepsky and imaging.

I agree with Damien when he suggests the 8" SCT LX90 as a better allround scope.

Yes, of course you should see the scope first, better still - hire one. I don't think anyone here has, or would, suggest different.

Of course, no scope is perfect - they are all a compromise - and there are things you will like and dislike about whichever model you choose.

Appreciated. If there was 1 great scope, we would all have it :lol:

What would the LX90 give me? Compactness, portability, long focal length & great imaging potential for the money. Yes its a superb scope.

That I may appreciate more in 2-3 years time. I bet some of you guys do now. :)

The LDX, whilst more expensive for what I am getting (as its new), does suit what I want. Portability is not an issue. Just stick it out of the conservatory and hey presto. Don't really need to move it.

I am sure I will get good images from the LDX 8'' but if I don't have the peripheral hardware and software, the LX's superiority would count for nowt.

These are little things that normally would not stand in my way but coupled with not being able to see what I am getting as a 2nd hand purchase, I would rather play safe.

You say about renting one for a while. All that would make me do is fall in love with it, get in a car and drive round the UK looking at the for sale items. I haven't got that opportunity, time or the money to purchase it new.

Now..I dont know if this works in this arena..but, I know of shop dealers who take in kit and give it the once over for a fee. This means the potential buyer of the 2nd hand goods gets a proffessional and accurate opion without having to travel for hours just to view it.

The LDX, whilst more expensive for what I am getting (as its new), does suit what I want. Portability is not an issue. Just stick it out of the conservatory and hey presto. Don't really need to move it.

I am sure I will get good images from the LDX 8'' but if I don't have the peripheral hardware and software, the LX's superiority would count for nowt.

Sounds like you have decided. Just one more question:

What is your eyesight like - do you normally wear glasses when using a binocular/telescope?

What is your eyesight like - do you normally wear glasses when using a binocular/telescope?

Its 20-20.

Are you now going to say that all I need is an eye piece and no scope as I have perfect vision? :):lol:

Its 20-20.

Are you now going to say that all I need is an eye piece and no scope as I have perfect vision? :):lol:

No, its only that the LXD75 is a short focal length telescope; this means that you will be using shorter focal length eyepieces than you would normally use with something like an LX90. Which in turn means that you will have less eye-relief, which is a problem for those wearing glasses.

Archived