SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Polar alignment on AstroMaster 130 eq

12 hours ago, Atreta said:

I'd have a second thought about the 200p for astrophotography. If i remember it i correctly it will also not focus properly with a dslr.

That's not quite the case.  I have been using my Canon 700d with a Skywatcher 200P for five years now and it focusses just fine, with or without coma corrector and with or without a barlow.

I agree that the PDS is probably a better choice for a dedicated AP scope, but the 200P also works well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clear Skies! said:

But why not?

The larger size is maybe a little bit better than some vibrations.

What about NEQ6 pro?

The common rule is that your telescope weight should be around half of your mount capacity. A 200p does push the EQ5 to near its quoted limit but it doesn't mean that you can't still produce good images. I can see why people would also recommed the PDS version, but I still have about 1-1.5cm of backforcus to play with with a Canon 450d.Unless you are planning to produce the best possible images like some featured on here, then you can get away with the extra weight on the mount.

As I said earlier, the extra focal length of a bigger telescope can be as much of a curse as a benefit early on when you are learning. If I was starting again with what I know now, I would more likely go for a smaller scope as it minimises any tracking errors (to an extent) and you can image large objects in one frame rather than just shooting one part of it.

56 minutes ago, almcl said:

I have been using my Canon 700d with a Skywatcher 200P for five years now and it focusses just fine, with or without coma corrector and with or without a barlow.

Nice to know that, thanks for saying it. 

• 1 month later...
On 27/11/2019 at 18:23, alacant said:

Hi

That's more like it.

Now simply take your choice of any aforementioned telescope and we promise not to advise otherwise!

Cheers and clear skies.

What about a compromise - Celestron VX? Has it got a good polar alignment, or better EQ5? Has Celestron got good GoTo (I mean GoTo with polar alignment with three stars, to which you have to align telescope)?

Edited by Clear Skies!