Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Recommended Posts

I have Celestron AstroMaster 130 eq. I know how to attach the motor driver, too. I want to dive into astrophotography. But I don't know:

  • How can I accurate polar align my telescope, if it doesn't have any polar scope? I think drift polar-alignment is very hard. Is there any other way?
  • How fast must be the motor driver's speed if I don't have polar-aligned telescope yet?
  • I am buying my new Orion StarShoot G4 Monochrome Deep Space Imaging Camera. Is it good that I attach Orion camera on Celestron telescope?
  • I want to buy ZWO 1.25" LRGB Imaging Filter Set. Is it good to attach ZWO on Orion and Celestron?
  • Is it a good choice to select these machines?
  • And finally: is Celestron AstroMaster 130 eq telescope good enough for astro imaging? (I want to image DSO objects.)

Thank you for your effort and time.

Clear skies!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Clear Skies! said:

I have Celestron AstroMaster 130 eq. I know how to attach the motor driver, too. I want to dive into astrophotography. But I don't know:

  • How can I accurate polar align my telescope, if it doesn't have any polar scope? I think drift polar-alignment is very hard. Is there any other way?
  • How fast must be the motor driver's speed if I don't have polar-aligned telescope yet?
  • I am buying my new Orion StarShoot G4 Monochrome Deep Space Imaging Camera. Is it good that I attach Orion camera on Celestron telescope?
  • I want to buy ZWO 1.25" LRGB Imaging Filter Set. Is it good to attach ZWO on Orion and Celestron?
  • Is it a good choice to select these machines?
  • And finally: is Celestron AstroMaster 130 eq telescope good enough for astro imaging? (I want to image DSO objects.)

Thank you for your effort and time.

Clear skies!

Hello and welcome to SGL. Your last point should have been asked first.  The mount supplied with the Astromaster 130 isn't great. With no way to accurately polar align the mount and just a basic motor drive you will probably waste hours trying to just get one usable image, let alone the four required to create a colour image from LRGB channels.  Also, the telescope might not even be able to reach focus with a camera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Hello and welcome to SGL. Your last point should have been asked first.  The mount supplied with the Astromaster 130 isn't great. With no way to accurately polar align the mount and just a basic motor drive you will probably waste hours trying to just get one usable image, let alone the four required to create a colour image from LRGB channels.  Also, the telescope might not even be able to reach focus with a camera.

But why then on the website 'digitalcameraworld.com' (https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides/best-telescopes-for-astrophotography) writes:

If you're after the best telescope for astrophotography for under $200, we recommend the Celestron Astromaster 130EQ, which offers a great package for the slightly more experienced amateur astronomer. Its tracking equatorial mount will allow the user to try their hand at longer exposure astrophotography, and its larger aperture will start to show more detail in all manner of different objects. Its optical system – a Newtonian reflector – will require collimating to perform to its potential. This process can be tricky for beginners, but with practice it's easily achieved. The overall package here would make a sound choice as a first serious telescope for astrophotography, and with practice and patience offers potential to produce some impressive images.

It says that it is "Great all-round choice for the amateur astronomer".

I am very confused now.

 

P.S.

My motor driver isn't really that so good that it writes everywhere on Celestron shops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Clear Skies! said:

But why then on the website 'digitalcameraworld.com' (https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides/best-telescopes-for-astrophotography) writes:

If you're after the best telescope for astrophotography for under $200, we recommend the Celestron Astromaster 130EQ, which offers a great package for the slightly more experienced amateur astronomer. Its tracking equatorial mount will allow the user to try their hand at longer exposure astrophotography, and its larger aperture will start to show more detail in all manner of different objects. Its optical system – a Newtonian reflector – will require collimating to perform to its potential. This process can be tricky for beginners, but with practice it's easily achieved. The overall package here would make a sound choice as a first serious telescope for astrophotography, and with practice and patience offers potential to produce some impressive images.

It says that it is "Great all-round choice for the amateur astronomer".

I am very confused now.

 

P.S.

My motor driver isn't really that so good that it writes everywhere on Celestron shops.

I would strongly disagree with their claim that the Astromaster is a good astrophotography telescope. It might be a good beginners telescope for visual use and maybe a bit of lunar or planetary imaging but not DSO. They also make the same claim about a number of other telescopes that are clearly unsuitable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Clear Skies! said:

Orion StarShoot G4

Hi. Maybe before you get to the other questions and before you go ahead with the camera, have a good look at the mount. Make sure it is up to the task of tracking the telescope and the other stuff you'll need to attach.

Also remember that you'll need to introduce the filters and perhaps a coma corrector - you'll need a 1-1/4 inch version- into the optical path somewhere, so another thing to check is whether you're going to have enough inward travel on the focuser to accommodate these extra items but still enable the camera to come to focus.

As @Cornelius Varley commented, I'd question the recommendation of this model for astrophotography.

HTH

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was my first telescope but I only used it for visual. For astrophotography it comes with lots of disadvantages. First, the tripod is wobbly and doesnt provide enough stability. As above, I dont know if you would have enough inward travel to focus with a camera. The fix for this is to use a 2x Barlow as this pushes the focal point further away from the telescope. The issue with this is you would be imaging at a focal length of 1300mm which puts a lot of pressure on getting the mount level (this doesn't have an in-built spirit level), polar aligned (without a polar scope) and the balance of the scope perfect.

Thas before you take into account that the red dot finder is difficult to use for anything dim and it is very tough to collimate as the center point on the primary mirror isn't marked. Overall, if you want something just for visual, it is fantastic and it will be a great scope for you. Before long, I think you would be looking to upgrade if you are serious about photography past lunar and planetary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/11/2019 at 21:28, alacant said:

Hi. Maybe before you get to the other questions and before you go ahead with the camera, have a good look at the mount. Make sure it is up to the task of tracking the telescope and the other stuff you'll need to attach.

Also remember that you'll need to introduce the filters and perhaps a coma corrector - you'll need a 1-1/4 inch version- into the optical path somewhere, so another thing to check is whether you're going to have enough inward travel on the focuser to accommodate these extra items but still enable the camera to come to focus.

As @Cornelius Varley commented, I'd question the recommendation of this model for astrophotography.

HTH

 

 

 

Can I first buy this camera, use it on the scope and then buy better telescope?

Which telescope under $500 is the best?

Clear skies!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Clear Skies! said:

Can I first buy this camera

Hi

Of course. It's not for a forum to tell you what you can or can't buy!

The camera has a small sensor so you may be OK without a coma corrector but if you want coloured images, you will need a filter wheel or drawer of some kind so you can use filters. You could take a chance on it coming to focus. Or ask the camera dealer. Or maybe someone here knows...

A drop in replacement for your telescope which will just work is the SkyWatcher 130pds. But you still would need a mount to carry it all. I use an eq6 which are now available for around the same price as the oft recommended heq5. But remember you are now €1000 over budget and you don't yet have the filter stuff.

Alternatives? Do you have a dslr? Your existing -motorised- mount would work well for wide angle views of the stars.

Good luck and HTH

 

Edited by alacant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/11/2019 at 08:41, alacant said:

Hi

Of course. It's not for a forum to tell you what you can or can't buy!

The camera has a small sensor so you may be OK without a coma corrector but if you want coloured images, you will need a filter wheel or drawer of some kind so you can use filters. You could take a chance on it coming to focus. Or ask the camera dealer. Or maybe someone here knows...

A drop in replacement for your telescope which will just work is the SkyWatcher 130pds. But you still would need a mount to carry it all. I use an eq6 which are now available for around the same price as the oft recommended heq5. But remember you are now €1000 over budget and you don't yet have the filter stuff.

Alternatives? Do you have a dslr? Your existing -motorised- mount would work well for wide angle views of the stars.

Good luck and HTH

 

And what is the best mount under $200 or maximum $300?

Is this telescope good enough for the Messier Marathone?

P. S.

Check this: 

on the hyperlink: https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/132765-skywatcher-vs-celestron/

They said that both of the scopes are practically the same. I am thinking about two options:

  1. I sell Celestron telescope (-150 $) and buy Skywatcher scope (245 $) and appropriate mount (Skywatcher EQ-5 Pro Synscan Computerized GoTo Mount White = 430 $). Then I buy Orion G4 Camera (500 $) and filters (https://agenaastro.com/zwo-1-25-inch-lrgb-imaging-filter-set.html = 90 $). Cost = 1120 $.
  2. I buy Celestron mount (1000 $) and Orion G4 Camera (500 $) and filters (https://agenaastro.com/zwo-1-25-inch-lrgb-imaging-filter-set.html = 90 $). Cost = 1600 $.

Is GoTo mount really needed?

 

Clear Skies!

Edited by Clear Skies!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Clear Skies! said:

the Messier Marathone?

Hi. yes. You'll be able to see and image them all:)

59 minutes ago, Clear Skies! said:

Is GoTo mount really needed?

All mounts for astrophotography will include this anyway. You don't need to use it though.

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi. yes. You'll be able to see and image them all:)

All mounts for astrophotography will include this anyway. You don't need to use it though.

Cheers

I found other telescope: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-200p-eq5-goto.html.

Is it better then if I buy this (for 800 €)?

Thanks for answers.

Edited by Clear Skies!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Clear Skies! said:

other telescope

Hi

Your chosen camera already has a small field of view; that telescope will narrow it further. That maybe what you want for e.g. galaxies but perhaps to begin with, the smaller telescope would be better as you'd be able to image more of the sky in one go.

That mount maybe ok for the 130, but I think the 200 is pushing it a little too far. I'd still go for the heaviest mount you can afford as priority. 

Remember to budget a filter wheel for your camera. I think you maybe ok without a coma corrector.

Are you sure you don't have access to a DSLR to get a feel for astrophotography on the mount you already have? 

HTH.

Edited by alacant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi

Your chosen camera already has a small field of view; that telescope will narrow it further. That maybe what you want for e.g. galaxies but maybe to begin with the smaller telescope would be better as you'd be able to image more of the sky in one go.

That mount maybe ok for the 130, but I think the 200 is pushing it a little too far. I'd still go for the heaviest mount you can afford as as priority. 

Remember to also budget a filter wheel for your camera. I think you maybe ok without a coma corrector.

Are you sure you don't have access to a DSLR to get a feel for astrophotography on the mount you already have? 

HTH.

Is mount EQ3 good enough for 130 mm or 150 mm apperture?

Or, even better, can I place AstroMaster 130 eq on Skywatcher EQ5 mount?

Edited by Clear Skies!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Clear Skies! said:

mount EQ3 good enough for 130

It could be possible, but you'd be making imaging more difficult for yourself. You could get more advice asking in the eq3 section.

17 minutes ago, Clear Skies! said:

can I place AstroMaster 130 eq on Skywatcher EQ5

Yes. But but beware the singularity of the answer;)

HTH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alacant said:

Are you sure you don't have access to a DSLR to get a feel for astrophotography on the mount you already have?

I have Canon PowerShot sx130, but an objective can't be removed, so I can't do anything with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clear Skies! said:

PowerShot sx130

Ah, ok then. I understand. 

The first thing I'd recommend is getting as good a mount as your budget will allow. Then find out if your chosen camera will come to focus with your existing telescope.

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to buy an used scope. Telescope tube is Astromaster 130/750. But I need to know, what mount is it (EQ3 / EQ5 / EQ6):

image.png.4bfa1ba9e87f929cedbad0271eec420e.png

I need to know this because I want to upgrade it with GoTo.

Thanks!

Edited by Clear Skies!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best of luck with this, I think you have made a good choice. Just bear in mind that imaging at that focal length will mean you need to make sure that your mount is levelled correctly and your polar alignment is spot on. Taking 10 mintues at the start of the session to get this right will save you hours later on. 😉

All the best!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CloudMagnet said:

Best of luck with this, I think you have made a good choice. Just bear in mind that imaging at that focal length will mean you need to make sure that your mount is levelled correctly and your polar alignment is spot on. Taking 10 mintues at the start of the session to get this right will save you hours later on. 😉

All the best!

Thank you!

 

P. S.

Amazon has changed price: now it costs 809 €. 😩 I won't buy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So much for black friday sales! Might be worth checking the price over the next couple of weeks and see if it comes down again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't put the 200 on an EQ5 for imaging, I'd go for a 130pds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/11/2019 at 16:36, Clear Skies! said:

I'd have a second thought about the 200p for astrophotography. If i remember it i correctly it will also not focus properly with a dslr( i don't know what camera you'll go for). Also in the bottom of that FLO link there is a note mentioning it.  

"Note: The Explorer 200P is designed primarily for visual astronomy, for astro-photography consider the Explorer 200P-DS model." 

To me you would be best suited with a 130pds with that mount.  But try to not buy in a rush, do some research. there are great advice in here. this way  you won't be disappointed later when you start imaging. 

 

Edited by Atreta
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, knobby said:

I wouldn't put the 200 on an EQ5 for imaging, I'd go for a 130pds

But why not?

The larger size is maybe a little bit better than some vibrations.

 

What about NEQ6 pro?

Edited by Clear Skies!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By stevebb
      Celestron C8 XLT + extras and SkyWatcher Star Travel 80 (ST80)
      I have a Celestron C8 with XLT Starbrite coatings. Will include the full length base plate, both visual and imaging backs, scope rings, front 8" end cap and the finder scope with it. No box I'm afraid. Optics are good and clean, focal length is huge - 2300mm from memory. This lot would cost close to £1300 new and one with less spec went for £750 on fleabay recently. Might be interested in a part exchange or will let it go for £450 collection only.
      Also, I have a SkyWatcher Star Traveler 80 - good optics, used as a guide scope - just the scope itself (does not include the barlow in the photo) - now including dovetail bar and scope rings looking at around £50 for it.
      I have decided to save up for another refractor, WO, Equinox or even toward an Esprit. However, I would also consider p/ex for an Intel NUC and/or Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox.
      Please excuse some of the colours - I used my astro modded 6D which was in the observatory so the "nice" purple is actually black !!
      Both these are collection only.




    • By hazza001
      Hello everyone, 
      I'd say it's been about 6 years since I last posted on this forum, oops 😁. 
      Anyway Ive been looking for a new scope something with abit more punch than the skywatcher 130m I have been using and came across this beaut on eBay, I won the auction and picked it up yesterday. The guy was selling it on behalf of an elderly gentleman man who couldn't use it anymore, (it's been sitting in an unheated garage for many years 😩) he had no idea on the make or model other than its a c8, I did a bit of research and found its a c8 super polaris. 
      The mount has both RA and Dec axis motors but I have no way to power them, the action of the mount is buttery smooth. However I plan to mount this on my HEQ5 anyway... 
      The scope its self seems to be in good condition some minor scratches on the tube but nothing too alarming, no finderscope or dust cover but I plan on adding my own finder anyway. The focus is super smoothe and can't see much if any image shift in use (not tested on a star yet due to preverbial clouds) 
      My main concern is as its been in an unheated garage for some considerable time and there seems to be some minor mildew on the primary which I plan on cleaning... when I feel brave enough.. 
      I don't think the secondary screws are original, should be Phillips head? Tested on a small light down the garden and it seems to be well collimated, but does have a small amount of mildew on it
      I don't recognise the mounting bar, I would like to swap it to a vixen style bar so I can mount it on my HEQ5 maybe this?
      Anyway that's where I am with it sorry its been so long since I last posted, I hope to be a tad more active on here. 
      Harry 



    • By Viktorious
      Time for yet another cry for help when it comes to choosing diagonal. I have read the many similar threads and gathered some knowledge (too many to start linking). I have come some way in my process and now that it is coming to final decisions I would like to hear from the experts. Not many of threads I have read end with the OP returning to deliver some review/verdict of his/her final decision. While I wait for response on some thread where I asked about the result, the eagerness in me forces me to write my own thread. Perhaps some of the people asking these questions before can now answer in my thread as experts!

      I have the Nexstar Evolution 9.25 and am currently using the stock diagonal. My eyepieces are the Baader 8-24 mm zoom and the stock 40 mm Plössl. I would also like to upgrade EPs and there I'm looking at something better in 24 mm range, as well some nice low power for more FOV. I'm following threads about EPs and SCTs with great interest for this (on CN). Can say that I'm currently leaning towards the 1.25" 24 mm ES 68° and 2" 36 mm Hyperion aspheric (if going 2" route).

      I'm thinking 2 alternatives (including a budget alternative for one of them). I'm looking at Baader mainly for ClickLock (and expect good optics):
      Baader T2 Zeiss prism with a 1.25" ClickLock EP (T2 part #08) -OR- the 2" prism with 2" ClickLock (splurging that is). The budget alternative would be to get the non-Zeiss T2 prism instead for the 1.25". Worth noting that I would like to get the Celestron f/6.3 Reducer/Corrector. This would be for future purposes of delving into EAA but of course I would use it visually as well (especially if choosing the T2 route). The reasoning for my alternatives:
      Go for the 2" Zeiss prism to theoretically get the best of the best in visual terms. I would make better use of the 46 mm baffle tube opening. Theoretically possible to combine with the R/C thanks to relative short light path (although not necessarily needed with 2" EPs). Downside of going to 2" accessories would be the cost, EPs, filters etc., on top of diagonal. Would not be able to spend all these costs at once. Cheaper route with T2 prism (especially the non-Zeiss), not only diagonal but also the other accessories. Cost of the R/C would be comparable to e.g. the 36 mm aspheric and give similar power and FOV with the 24 mm ES, i.e. the 24 mm would act as both. Extra plus is the ClickLock clamp for 1.25" with built in fine focusing not involving the mirror. Downside of knowing that not all light coming out of baffle tube is used. To get the wide FOV (24 mm + R/C) I'm adding glass to the optical train (theoretically not a good thing). I'm leaning towards the T2 as it would be a cheaper diagonal and for EPs I would only need the 24 mm and then the reducer instead of a 30-40 mm, so saving the expense of one EP. Then I would already have the reducer for continuing into EAA. The questions I hope the experts here can help with:
      The old reducer vs 2" diagonal question. With R/C and the 24 mm I can get roughly the same mag and FOV as e.g. the 36 mm Hyperion (technically 38 mm vs 36 mm and 68° vs 72°). Also reading good things about the ES 68° and with R/C the EP should behave the same. Am I missing something here? The logics say that the I would lose some contrast with the R/C (not using full opening + adding elements), correct? Possibly flatter fields though (not important now, hopefully the EP threads might tell soon enough). The Zeiss vs non-Zeiss T2? Big differences? I have read a few posts on this so most to get some updated views here (have read that Baader has changed some things over the years). Using the R/C (f/6.3) with these prisms. I know f/7 is mentioned as "the limit" but also remember BillP's test where he was happy down to f/6 with the prisms (in 2014 at least). Perhaps most important: have I missed some other obvious alternative here? Maybe I have forgotten some question here but perhaps for the best as I assume those who have gotten this far are tired of reading now. Thanks for getting here though!

      Thanks,
      Viktor
    • By ssuummoonnaa
      Hi, I have recently bought the celestron AM 130 EQ. when setting up , I wrongly assembled the counter weight first rather than adjusting the lattitude knob both at the front and rear side. That made the counter weight pull towards the floor and now the lattitude adjustment knob is jammed, I cant move it counter clockwise. The pin at lattitude is showing 0 degree. What to do. Please help. 

    • By dragorom7
      Hello, i am new to this forum, i made my account here because i need help.
      So few weeks ago i ordered a USB to Serial cable to be able to Control my Telescope with my computer using stellarium.
      It arrived today.
      So i made my Star Alignment, then i plugged the cable to my Telescope and Computer, i installed the Cable driver and ASCOM Platform + ASCOM Celestron Driver.
      I started DriverConnect.exe and put the Celestron Driver i downloaded, and did the properties informations ( had to tick on "Advanced Setup" and "Show All COM Ports" ) and i put "COM8" on "COM Port", then i pressed "OK" and then "Connect"
      Result:
      Create              Creating device
      Connected           Connecting to device
      Error               System.Exception: Connect to COM1 failed, no Celestron scope detected
         to System.Dynamic.ComRuntimeHelpers.CheckThrowException(Int32 hresult, ExcepInfo& excepInfo, UInt32 argErr, String message)
         to CallSite.Target(Closure , CallSite , ComObject , Boolean )
         to ASCOM.DriverConnect.ConnectForm.btnConnect_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverConnect\ConnectForm.cs:line 268
      Dispose             Disposing of device
      ReleaseComObject    Releasing COM instance
      ReleaseComObject    Completed release. Count: 0
      GC Collect          Starting garbage collection
      GC Collect          Completed garbage collection
       
      "Connect to COM1 failed, no Celestron scope detected"

      In Stellarium i set-up everything, the plug-in and restarted the app, then added my telescope  and i says it's "connected" but i can't find my telescope.
       
      Telescope:
      Celestron NexStar 127SLT
      The Cable i bought:
      https://www.amazon.com/Telescope-CP2102-Adapter-Control-Console/dp/B077G37VL1/
      PC Specs:
      Windows 10 Pro, GTX 970, 8GB Ram(DDR4), i7 6700 3.4Ghz
       
      Looking forward for your help, thanks in advance,
      dragorom7.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.