Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Polar alignment on AstroMaster 130 eq

I have Celestron AstroMaster 130 eq. I know how to attach the motor driver, too. I want to dive into astrophotography. But I don't know:

• How can I accurate polar align my telescope, if it doesn't have any polar scope? I think drift polar-alignment is very hard. Is there any other way?
  • How fast must be the motor driver's speed if I don't have polar-aligned telescope yet?
  • I am buying my new Orion StarShoot G4 Monochrome Deep Space Imaging Camera. Is it good that I attach Orion camera on Celestron telescope?
  • I want to buy ZWO 1.25" LRGB Imaging Filter Set. Is it good to attach ZWO on Orion and Celestron?
  • Is it a good choice to select these machines?
  • And finally: is Celestron AstroMaster 130 eq telescope good enough for astro imaging? (I want to image DSO objects.)

Thank you for your effort and time.

Clear skies!

35 minutes ago, Clear Skies! said:

I have Celestron AstroMaster 130 eq. I know how to attach the motor driver, too. I want to dive into astrophotography. But I don't know:

• How can I accurate polar align my telescope, if it doesn't have any polar scope? I think drift polar-alignment is very hard. Is there any other way?
  • How fast must be the motor driver's speed if I don't have polar-aligned telescope yet?
  • I am buying my new Orion StarShoot G4 Monochrome Deep Space Imaging Camera. Is it good that I attach Orion camera on Celestron telescope?
  • I want to buy ZWO 1.25" LRGB Imaging Filter Set. Is it good to attach ZWO on Orion and Celestron?
  • Is it a good choice to select these machines?
  • And finally: is Celestron AstroMaster 130 eq telescope good enough for astro imaging? (I want to image DSO objects.)

Thank you for your effort and time.

Clear skies!

Hello and welcome to SGL. Your last point should have been asked first.  The mount supplied with the Astromaster 130 isn't great. With no way to accurately polar align the mount and just a basic motor drive you will probably waste hours trying to just get one usable image, let alone the four required to create a colour image from LRGB channels.  Also, the telescope might not even be able to reach focus with a camera.

19 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Hello and welcome to SGL. Your last point should have been asked first.  The mount supplied with the Astromaster 130 isn't great. With no way to accurately polar align the mount and just a basic motor drive you will probably waste hours trying to just get one usable image, let alone the four required to create a colour image from LRGB channels.  Also, the telescope might not even be able to reach focus with a camera.

But why then on the website 'digitalcameraworld.com' (https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides/best-telescopes-for-astrophotography) writes:

If you're after the best telescope for astrophotography for under $200, we recommend the Celestron Astromaster 130EQ, which offers a great package for the slightly more experienced amateur astronomer. Its tracking equatorial mount will allow the user to try their hand at longer exposure astrophotography, and its larger aperture will start to show more detail in all manner of different objects. Its optical system – a Newtonian reflector – will require collimating to perform to its potential. This process can be tricky for beginners, but with practice it's easily achieved. The overall package here would make a sound choice as a first serious telescope for astrophotography, and with practice and patience offers potential to produce some impressive images.

It says that it is "Great all-round choice for the amateur astronomer".

I am very confused now.

P.S.

My motor driver isn't really that so good that it writes everywhere on Celestron shops.

3 minutes ago, Clear Skies! said:

But why then on the website 'digitalcameraworld.com' (https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides/best-telescopes-for-astrophotography) writes:

If you're after the best telescope for astrophotography for under $200, we recommend the Celestron Astromaster 130EQ, which offers a great package for the slightly more experienced amateur astronomer. Its tracking equatorial mount will allow the user to try their hand at longer exposure astrophotography, and its larger aperture will start to show more detail in all manner of different objects. Its optical system – a Newtonian reflector – will require collimating to perform to its potential. This process can be tricky for beginners, but with practice it's easily achieved. The overall package here would make a sound choice as a first serious telescope for astrophotography, and with practice and patience offers potential to produce some impressive images.

It says that it is "Great all-round choice for the amateur astronomer".

I am very confused now.

P.S.

My motor driver isn't really that so good that it writes everywhere on Celestron shops.

I would strongly disagree with their claim that the Astromaster is a good astrophotography telescope. It might be a good beginners telescope for visual use and maybe a bit of lunar or planetary imaging but not DSO. They also make the same claim about a number of other telescopes that are clearly unsuitable.

23 hours ago, Clear Skies! said:

Orion StarShoot G4

Hi. Maybe before you get to the other questions and before you go ahead with the camera, have a good look at the mount. Make sure it is up to the task of tracking the telescope and the other stuff you'll need to attach.

Also remember that you'll need to introduce the filters and perhaps a coma corrector - you'll need a 1-1/4 inch version- into the optical path somewhere, so another thing to check is whether you're going to have enough inward travel on the focuser to accommodate these extra items but still enable the camera to come to focus.

As @Cornelius Varley commented, I'd question the recommendation of this model for astrophotography.

HTH

This was my first telescope but I only used it for visual. For astrophotography it comes with lots of disadvantages. First, the tripod is wobbly and doesnt provide enough stability. As above, I dont know if you would have enough inward travel to focus with a camera. The fix for this is to use a 2x Barlow as this pushes the focal point further away from the telescope. The issue with this is you would be imaging at a focal length of 1300mm which puts a lot of pressure on getting the mount level (this doesn't have an in-built spirit level), polar aligned (without a polar scope) and the balance of the scope perfect.

Thas before you take into account that the red dot finder is difficult to use for anything dim and it is very tough to collimate as the center point on the primary mirror isn't marked. Overall, if you want something just for visual, it is fantastic and it will be a great scope for you. Before long, I think you would be looking to upgrade if you are serious about photography past lunar and planetary.

On 13/11/2019 at 21:28, alacant said:

Hi. Maybe before you get to the other questions and before you go ahead with the camera, have a good look at the mount. Make sure it is up to the task of tracking the telescope and the other stuff you'll need to attach.

Also remember that you'll need to introduce the filters and perhaps a coma corrector - you'll need a 1-1/4 inch version- into the optical path somewhere, so another thing to check is whether you're going to have enough inward travel on the focuser to accommodate these extra items but still enable the camera to come to focus.

As @Cornelius Varley commented, I'd question the recommendation of this model for astrophotography.

HTH

Can I first buy this camera, use it on the scope and then buy better telescope?

Which telescope under $500 is the best?

Clear skies!

9 hours ago, Clear Skies! said:

Can I first buy this camera

Hi

Of course. It's not for a forum to tell you what you can or can't buy!

The camera has a small sensor so you may be OK without a coma corrector but if you want coloured images, you will need a filter wheel or drawer of some kind so you can use filters. You could take a chance on it coming to focus. Or ask the camera dealer. Or maybe someone here knows...

A drop in replacement for your telescope which will just work is the SkyWatcher 130pds. But you still would need a mount to carry it all. I use an eq6 which are now available for around the same price as the oft recommended heq5. But remember you are now €1000 over budget and you don't yet have the filter stuff.

Alternatives? Do you have a dslr? Your existing -motorised- mount would work well for wide angle views of the stars.

Good luck and HTH

Edited by alacant

On 16/11/2019 at 08:41, alacant said:

Hi

Of course. It's not for a forum to tell you what you can or can't buy!

The camera has a small sensor so you may be OK without a coma corrector but if you want coloured images, you will need a filter wheel or drawer of some kind so you can use filters. You could take a chance on it coming to focus. Or ask the camera dealer. Or maybe someone here knows...

A drop in replacement for your telescope which will just work is the SkyWatcher 130pds. But you still would need a mount to carry it all. I use an eq6 which are now available for around the same price as the oft recommended heq5. But remember you are now €1000 over budget and you don't yet have the filter stuff.

Alternatives? Do you have a dslr? Your existing -motorised- mount would work well for wide angle views of the stars.

Good luck and HTH

And what is the best mount under $200 or maximum $300?

Is this telescope good enough for the Messier Marathone?

P. S.

Check this: 

on the hyperlink: https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/132765-skywatcher-vs-celestron/

They said that both of the scopes are practically the same. I am thinking about two options:

1. I sell Celestron telescope (-150 $) and buy Skywatcher scope (245 $) and appropriate mount (Skywatcher EQ-5 Pro Synscan Computerized GoTo Mount White = 430 $). Then I buy Orion G4 Camera (500 $) and filters (https://agenaastro.com/zwo-1-25-inch-lrgb-imaging-filter-set.html = 90 $). Cost = 1120 $.
  2. I buy Celestron mount (1000 $) and Orion G4 Camera (500 $) and filters (https://agenaastro.com/zwo-1-25-inch-lrgb-imaging-filter-set.html = 90 $). Cost = 1600 $.

Is GoTo mount really needed?

Clear Skies!

Edited by Clear Skies!

52 minutes ago, Clear Skies! said:

the Messier Marathone?

Hi. yes. You'll be able to see and image them all:)

59 minutes ago, Clear Skies! said:

Is GoTo mount really needed?

All mounts for astrophotography will include this anyway. You don't need to use it though.

Cheers

45 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi. yes. You'll be able to see and image them all:)

All mounts for astrophotography will include this anyway. You don't need to use it though.

Cheers

I found other telescope: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-200p-eq5-goto.html.

Is it better then if I buy this (for 800 €)?

Thanks for answers.

Edited by Clear Skies!

34 minutes ago, Clear Skies! said:

other telescope

Hi

Your chosen camera already has a small field of view; that telescope will narrow it further. That maybe what you want for e.g. galaxies but perhaps to begin with, the smaller telescope would be better as you'd be able to image more of the sky in one go.

That mount maybe ok for the 130, but I think the 200 is pushing it a little too far. I'd still go for the heaviest mount you can afford as priority. 

Remember to budget a filter wheel for your camera. I think you maybe ok without a coma corrector.

Are you sure you don't have access to a DSLR to get a feel for astrophotography on the mount you already have? 

HTH.

Edited by alacant

48 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi

Your chosen camera already has a small field of view; that telescope will narrow it further. That maybe what you want for e.g. galaxies but maybe to begin with the smaller telescope would be better as you'd be able to image more of the sky in one go.

That mount maybe ok for the 130, but I think the 200 is pushing it a little too far. I'd still go for the heaviest mount you can afford as as priority. 

Remember to also budget a filter wheel for your camera. I think you maybe ok without a coma corrector.

Are you sure you don't have access to a DSLR to get a feel for astrophotography on the mount you already have? 

HTH.

Is mount EQ3 good enough for 130 mm or 150 mm apperture?

Or, even better, can I place AstroMaster 130 eq on Skywatcher EQ5 mount?

Edited by Clear Skies!

13 minutes ago, Clear Skies! said:

mount EQ3 good enough for 130

It could be possible, but you'd be making imaging more difficult for yourself. You could get more advice asking in the eq3 section.

17 minutes ago, Clear Skies! said:

can I place AstroMaster 130 eq on Skywatcher EQ5

Yes. But but beware the singularity of the answer;)

HTH.

1 hour ago, Clear Skies! said:

PowerShot sx130

Ah, ok then. I understand. 

The first thing I'd recommend is getting as good a mount as your budget will allow. Then find out if your chosen camera will come to focus with your existing telescope.

Cheers

Best of luck with this, I think you have made a good choice. Just bear in mind that imaging at that focal length will mean you need to make sure that your mount is levelled correctly and your polar alignment is spot on. Taking 10 mintues at the start of the session to get this right will save you hours later on. 😉

All the best!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CloudMagnet said:

Best of luck with this, I think you have made a good choice. Just bear in mind that imaging at that focal length will mean you need to make sure that your mount is levelled correctly and your polar alignment is spot on. Taking 10 mintues at the start of the session to get this right will save you hours later on. 😉

All the best!

Thank you!

P. S.

Amazon has changed price: now it costs 809 €. 😩 I won't buy it.

On 25/11/2019 at 16:36, Clear Skies! said:

I'd have a second thought about the 200p for astrophotography. If i remember it i correctly it will also not focus properly with a dslr( i don't know what camera you'll go for). Also in the bottom of that FLO link there is a note mentioning it.  

"Note: The Explorer 200P is designed primarily for visual astronomy, for astro-photography consider the Explorer 200P-DS model." 

To me you would be best suited with a 130pds with that mount.  But try to not buy in a rush, do some research. there are great advice in here. this way  you won't be disappointed later when you start imaging. 

Edited by Atreta
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, knobby said:

I wouldn't put the 200 on an EQ5 for imaging, I'd go for a 130pds

But why not?

The larger size is maybe a little bit better than some vibrations.

What about NEQ6 pro?

Edited by Clear Skies!