Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Largest DIY dobsonian in the UK?

Ships and Stars

Hi all,

Does anyone know roughly what are the largest DIY or professionally-made dobs in the UK astro community? I saw a fellow in Italy made his own 40"/ 1m dob (1016mm), including the mirror. I know there are a few 40"-50" dobs in the US, one 70" in Utah (using a US spy-satellite mirror with a minor chip on the edge bought at auction!) and another 70" nearing completion. Are there any 32"-36"+ dobs in the UK? I suppose the owners might not want to advertise it however. 

There is reportedly a 30" f4.1 dob at the Astronomy Centre in Lancashire, would love to have a look through it sometime, definitely worth a drive someday if it is accessible.

Thanks for any info.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, John said:

The largest I know of in Europe is this 42 inch:

http://www.cruxis.com/scope/scope1070.htm

Here is a link to the 30 inch at the Astronomy Centre, Todmorden:

https://www.astronomycentre.org.uk/index.php/2-uncategorised/17-30-reflecting-telescope

Ah yes, I read about the German doctor's 107cm dob recently. The most amazing thing about that one is that technically it's quite transportable. A huge scope, the leap in size from 30 to 40"+ is astonishing.

Imagine guiding the 200" during several hours exposure. I think us imagers today have it easy :grin:.

I remember reading an account of the building of the 200", where they made the driving wheel in two halves, so they lapped it, split the halves and rotated them through 180 deg and lapped it again. They then repeated this with 180 deg - 1 tooth, rotate 180 deg -2 teeth etc to get the most error free drive they could,

• Like 2

There are 3 guys close to the Liverpool Astronomy Society who built a 30" and then another 30" with shorter focal lenght (??). Unfortunately their webpages have been taken down so there's little around. The 2 telescopes were named TRO and TROK - I reckon one of this is actaully the one in Bulgaria.

I saved few pics of the project....

Capture1.JPG.b8e404cb04a5fccb10cc785272d38063.JPG

• Like 2

On 12/11/2019 at 17:42, Geoff Barnes said:

Have you been following Michele Scotti's 800mm scope project in the DIY forum, would have.to be one of the biggest when it gets finished.

I almost missed this!

Humbly honoured the project is cited in this list although stil in the making.

The target is to build a long exposure 'attainable' imager that can be casually used as visual - finger crossed....

• Like 1

On 12/11/2019 at 21:47, Marvin Jenkins said:

Tripod ladder. All the fruit pickers use those around here, although not that big as it is just easier to prune the trees to a manageable height. Got to be uncomfortable after a short time.

Tripod stepladders are superb. Lightweight, safe and stable with broad, comfortable steps.
The huge span at the base makes a mockery of ordinary ladders with horizontal stabilization bars.

• Like 2

On 14/11/2019 at 00:00, Michele Scotti said:

There are 3 guys close to the Liverpool Astronomy Society who built a 30" and then another 30" with shorter focal lenght (??). Unfortunately their webpages have been taken down so there's little around. The 2 telescopes were named TRO and TROK - I reckon one of this is actaully the one in Bulgaria.

I saved few pics of the project....

Capture1.JPG.b8e404cb04a5fccb10cc785272d38063.JPG

TROK.   Thompson, Reagan, Owen and King, the group responsible for its completion.  Geoff Reagan in the photo.  Geoff is a big lad!        😀        

• Like 2

On 28/11/2019 at 17:25, Peter Drew said:

TROK.   Thompson, Reagan, Owen and King, the group responsible for its completion.  Geoff Reagan in the photo.  Geoff is a big lad!        😀        

Are they still active?  HAve they ever posted on SGL? Any chance to get in contact? I have a couple of questions for them ;)