Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

I may be pushing the limits of the theme with this image. I’m justifying it on the grounds that transits are themselves a demonstration of celestial motion. The Jet adds a sense of motion, although not celestial. Finally, I rarely have anything worth submitting to the imaging challenge so didn’t want to miss this opportunity ;) 

Photo taken with a SkyWatcher Equinox 80, TS Optics Herschel Wedge, 9mm Baader Genuine Ortho and iPhone 8.

A very lucky shot taken from my back garden. The image is the moment as I caught it. Only processing is adjustments to exposure and contrast levels using iOS’s inbuilt editor. I’ve included the video of the full Live Photo too. 
B95EBCE4-7485-47A0-B717-3546C2C53329.thumb.jpeg.1e5c656b7e6dc678e3fa0fd605ae35a3.jpeg

Edited by Littleguy80
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Wow! Is that a jet fighter as well? Excellent capture, well done!

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Lockie said:

Wow! Is that a jet fighter as well? Excellent capture, well done!

Yup. I believe it's from RAF Lakenheath. Best guess is a Typhoon (Eurofighter)

• Like 1

Ultimate pic of Mercury in Transit ! Old Nick.IMG_7289.thumb.PNG.e73c07bea031ecbaea4a1d2a4fde518d.PNG

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

I think you ought to share that pic with the papers or the BBC, I bet there's a good chance they might put it out.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cotterless45 said:

Ultimate pic of Mercury in Transit ! Old Nick.IMG_7289.thumb.PNG.e73c07bea031ecbaea4a1d2a4fde518d.PNG

Freddie was a big lad wasn't he lol 

• Haha 1

Excellent capture, Neil. It certainly is aTyphoon, they are based at RAF Marham, and have been frequent fliers over Norfolk this week.  Saw the transit for about 90 minutes from Seething, was Baltic level cold, but very worthwhile.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Cjg said:

Excellent capture, Neil. It certainly is aTyphoon, they are based at RAF Marham, and have been frequent fliers over Norfolk this week.  Saw the transit for about 90 minutes from Seething, was Baltic level cold, but very worthwhile.

Thanks Chris. Good to know it’s from Marham. My original plan had been to go to Seething but with the dodgy forecast, I decided to hit the road to try and find some clear skies. Looked like a good turn out at the obs. 

Wonder what Typhoons are doing at Marham as it's home to 617 flying Lightnings.

Great pic btw. :icon_salut:

• Thanks 1

That's a great pic well done. If we could speculate it was an F104 doing the flyover then you'd definitely have the competition won! 

Edited by MimasDeathStar
  • Haha 1

I emailed RAF Marham. It turns out the Typhoon is based at RAF Coningsby. They featured my photo on their twitter feed :)

Edited by Littleguy80
  • Like 7

If you give them the exact time I bet they could work out who was flying it. We would never be told but it would be cool for the pilot to know.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Paz said:

If you give them the exact time I bet they could work out who was flying it. We would never be told but it would be cool for the pilot to know.

I gave them the exact time and location so hopefully the pilot knows. I said in my email that I hoped the Typhoon crew would enjoy it. As you say, we’ll never know, but nice to think that’s it may have raised a top gun smile ;) 

Edited by Littleguy80
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I hope you have this printed and on your wall.
Each time I look at this and smile.