Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mercury Transit with Jet

I may be pushing the limits of the theme with this image. I’m justifying it on the grounds that transits are themselves a demonstration of celestial motion. The Jet adds a sense of motion, although not celestial. Finally, I rarely have anything worth submitting to the imaging challenge so didn’t want to miss this opportunity ;) 

Photo taken with a SkyWatcher Equinox 80, TS Optics Herschel Wedge, 9mm Baader Genuine Ortho and iPhone 8.

A very lucky shot taken from my back garden. The image is the moment as I caught it. Only processing is adjustments to exposure and contrast levels using iOS’s inbuilt editor. I’ve included the video of the full Live Photo too. 
B95EBCE4-7485-47A0-B717-3546C2C53329.thumb.jpeg.1e5c656b7e6dc678e3fa0fd605ae35a3.jpeg

Edited by Littleguy80
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 2

Excellent capture, Neil. It certainly is aTyphoon, they are based at RAF Marham, and have been frequent fliers over Norfolk this week.  Saw the transit for about 90 minutes from Seething, was Baltic level cold, but very worthwhile.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Cjg said:

Excellent capture, Neil. It certainly is aTyphoon, they are based at RAF Marham, and have been frequent fliers over Norfolk this week.  Saw the transit for about 90 minutes from Seething, was Baltic level cold, but very worthwhile.

Thanks Chris. Good to know it’s from Marham. My original plan had been to go to Seething but with the dodgy forecast, I decided to hit the road to try and find some clear skies. Looked like a good turn out at the obs. 

10 hours ago, Paz said:

If you give them the exact time I bet they could work out who was flying it. We would never be told but it would be cool for the pilot to know.

I gave them the exact time and location so hopefully the pilot knows. I said in my email that I hoped the Typhoon crew would enjoy it. As you say, we’ll never know, but nice to think that’s it may have raised a top gun smile ;) 

Edited by Littleguy80
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Absolutely superb. You can guarantee that whoever was flying it will certainly know all about it. If it was me in that jet I’d have it framed and in pride of place on my wall!

You’ve not just captured a brilliant image as lots do on this forum, but touched others’ lives as well - difficult to do with astronomy I’ll guess!

Magnus.

• Thanks 1