Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

PH-R

Mercury transit. South Wales, UK.

Whilst the view to the south from here yesterday afternoon was heavily clouded, I could see a fair bit of clear sky to the north and I was thinking someone in south Wales must have managed a reasonable view :)

James

• Haha 1

I was very lucky  between 12:30 and 13:00 then the showers started.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By ianaiken
      Hi all,
      Finally got some time to finish editing my images from Monday's transit of Mercury. If you have any will power left to look I hope you enjoy!

Video animations taken from 12:55 until approx 16:50.

• By Roel
      Yesterday's transit of Mercury in front of the Sun was almost entirely visible from the Netherlands. The transit started around noon in a perfecly clear blue sky and it stayed that way untill around 6pm, when high clouds slowly came in from the south. Unfortunately I missed the end of the event, but nonetheless I was able to watch everything non stop for hours. And it was absolutely wonderful!
      It started with one of the greatest views I ever saw through my 60mm h-Alpha telescope: the tiny planet's black disk just grazing the side of a prominence. While the dot was just making a dent in de solar disk, the rest of the planet's dark side was ghostly visible against the background of a very dim "halo" next to the brightest part of the prominence. An incredible sight!
      When the transit proceeded I started making a pastel sketch of the entire Sun's disk. Some small prominences were visible around the edge, and the northern half of the Sun was decorated whith nice filament and mildly active regions. After one hour I finished the drawing with the tiny and inky black dot of Mercury. I photographed the sketch the same evening, and used Photoshop to give it an orange hue and to correct the mirror reversed image. No further alterations were made.

And this is a close-up of the same drawing, to show the tiny planet's dot more clearly:

• By Adrian Condon
      Hi,
      I thought a thread to report your sightings of how well you got on viewing the Mercury Transit would be interesting.....
      From Kings Langley     Hazy sky, saw Mercury starting the transit at 12:13 today. Saw some sunspots as well.
      13:10 Sun in cloud, it is meant to get cloudier as the afternoon goes on. Shame...
      The SoHO Viewer on my iPad  last updated the Continuum Filter image of the Sun at 10:30am. Eagerly awaiting the next update!
      Cheers
      Adrian

• By Adrian Condon
      Hi,
      I thought a thread to report your sightings of how well you got on viewing the Mercury Transit would be interesting.....
      From Kings Langley     Hazy sky, saw Mercury starting the transit at 12:13 today. Saw some sunspots as well.
      13:10 Sun in cloud, it is meant to get cloudier as the afternoon goes on. Shame...
      The SoHO Viewer on my iPad  last updated the Continuum Filter image of the Sun at 10:30am. Eagerly awaiting the next update!
      Cheers
      Adrian

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.