Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Littleguy80

Jet and Transit of Mercury

I lucked out with this jet passing across the face of the Sun as I was taking photos of the Mercury transit on my iPhone. I believe the jet is based at RAF Lakenheath. I fiddled a bit with exposure and contrast but other than that it’s as is. Had a really great afternoon observing and taking photos of this event. 

Photo taken with a SkyWatcher Equinox 80, TS Optics Herschel Wedge, 9mm Baader Genuine Ortho and iPhone 8.

9DFB95A7-4A49-4F98-9B00-C7C55F0444BD.thumb.jpeg.52d2215b0fd2f836d88483a75b67f4d6.jpeg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

That is very cool Neil. Any plane would have been great, but a fighter makes it even better! Looks like a Typhoon?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stu said:

That is very cool Neil. Any plane would have been great, but a fighter makes it even better! Looks like a Typhoon?

Thank you, Stu. The fact that it was a jet really made it for me too :) Yes, a Typhoon was my thought too. 

• Like 1

Wow! Chocks away with that! Amazing photo.  

• Thanks 1

That is really something else! My favourite transit pic by a long shot. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you for all the kind comments :D

Here’s the full Live Photo. The image above is the moment I caught and not a time adjustment from the Live Photo. 

Edited by Littleguy80
  • Like 7

Wow, it's going so fast it made the Sun wobble! :)

• Haha 2

Great transit shot. :) That should be published!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Scooot said:

Great transit shot. :) That should be published!

A friend suggested sending it to Sky at Night magazine so I did that this evening. Fingers crossed :) 

• Like 4

One of coolest solar captures I've seen, congratulations.  Veterans day here in states, great reminder of brave men in woman in your services.  Maybe frame / send as gift to that Typhoon squadron and pilot.  Sure they would get a kick out of it.

• Like 1

I saw this in the other thread, and it is just amazing.  I can't love it enough.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

No way! Thank you for letting me know. I exchanged some emails with them today and they said it may make the January edition if page space allows. Very chuffed to have it up on the site though :D 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

No way! Thank you for letting me know. I exchanged some emails with them today and they said it may make the January edition if page space allows. Very chuffed to have it up on the site though :D 

Congratulations, mate! You richly deserve it for that amazing shot!

• Thanks 1

On 12/11/2019 at 01:55, MilwaukeeLion said:

One of coolest solar captures I've seen, congratulations.  Veterans day here in states, great reminder of brave men in woman in your services.  Maybe frame / send as gift to that Typhoon squadron and pilot.  Sure they would get a kick out of it.

I wanted to let you know that I followed your suggestion and emailed the RAF base the picture. They used it on their twitter feed :)

Edited by Littleguy80
  • Like 5

Excellent stuff Neil! Memorable image. If Sky at Night doesn’t publish it in its print edition then Astronomy Now might. Quite often see (several) months-old shots in there so still a chance after January.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Excellent stuff Neil! Memorable image. If Sky at Night doesn’t publish it in its print edition then Astronomy Now might. Quite often see (several) months-old shots in there so still a chance after January.

Thanks Mark. I’ll have to give them a try if it doesn’t make cut for Sky at Night.