Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jet and Transit of Mercury

Littleguy80

I lucked out with this jet passing across the face of the Sun as I was taking photos of the Mercury transit on my iPhone. I believe the jet is based at RAF Lakenheath. I fiddled a bit with exposure and contrast but other than that it’s as is. Had a really great afternoon observing and taking photos of this event. 

Photo taken with a SkyWatcher Equinox 80, TS Optics Herschel Wedge, 9mm Baader Genuine Ortho and iPhone 8.

9DFB95A7-4A49-4F98-9B00-C7C55F0444BD.thumb.jpeg.52d2215b0fd2f836d88483a75b67f4d6.jpeg

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

No way! Thank you for letting me know. I exchanged some emails with them today and they said it may make the January edition if page space allows. Very chuffed to have it up on the site though :D 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

No way! Thank you for letting me know. I exchanged some emails with them today and they said it may make the January edition if page space allows. Very chuffed to have it up on the site though :D 

Congratulations, mate! You richly deserve it for that amazing shot!

• Thanks 1

On 12/11/2019 at 01:55, MilwaukeeLion said:

One of coolest solar captures I've seen, congratulations.  Veterans day here in states, great reminder of brave men in woman in your services.  Maybe frame / send as gift to that Typhoon squadron and pilot.  Sure they would get a kick out of it.

I wanted to let you know that I followed your suggestion and emailed the RAF base the picture. They used it on their twitter feed :)

Edited by Littleguy80
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Excellent stuff Neil! Memorable image. If Sky at Night doesn’t publish it in its print edition then Astronomy Now might. Quite often see (several) months-old shots in there so still a chance after January.

Thanks Mark. I’ll have to give them a try if it doesn’t make cut for Sky at Night.