Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Tarantula Nebula

MarsG76

Hello Astronomers,

Sharing with you my latest complete image, this is the Tarantula Nebula imaged in Narrowband and processed in Hubble Palette colors, SHO.

This image came into existence because I didn't want to waste perfectly good half nights. Basically I started imaging the Helix nebula but it was obscured by 1 am, and since I didn't want to waste the nights, I chose an object rising in the south east to image until sunrise.

Unfortunately the moon became too bright to continue to image the Helix, and so it was put on hold until the moon is gone, but the moon was on the other side of the sky from the Tarantula, and the narrowband filtered subs were not affected by the moon light so I completed my imaging aimed at the Tarantula.

This was imaged at f10 through my 8" SCT with my cooled and astromodded Canon 40D DSLR. Filters used are the Baader SII, HAlpha and OIII 7.5nm filters.

Clear skies,

MG

Tarantula NGC2070 SHO OctNov2019.jpg

• Like 8

I also put together a quick pseudo RGB image from the narrowband data... it was very red heavy (for obvious reasons) and I toned down the red a lot but I couldn't get it looking quite right.. I still think that the SHO image looks more aesthetic.

Tarantula NGC2070 pRGB OctNov2019.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MartinB said:

That has some real depth to it.  I like the delicate narrowband colour scheme.

On 12/11/2019 at 04:27, Adreneline said:

I like both but prefer the first one - it seems to have more depth.

Thanks for sharing.

Adrian

19 hours ago, alan potts said:

Two fine images MG, I like both of them with the first just winning the day, can't say I can see a spider though.

Alan

1 hour ago, DaveS said:

Prefer the delicate colours in the NB image, which also shows more of the structure.

Thank you for the feedback... I agree that the narrowband does look better than the very red pseudo RGB image...

Edited by MarsG76
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, alan potts said:

can't say I can see a spider though.

I guess that what happens when an object is long exposed, the general shape that gave it its nickname gets lost.

Looking at it in the eyepiece it does look like a spider with thick hairy and spindly legs, seeing it in the eyepiece it is very obvious why it got its name... it is a very great looking object observationally, and huge, bigger than the Orion Nebula even though it's 100 times further...

• Like 1