SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Getting ready for tomorrow's eclipse ... not quite to scale ;-)

Helen

Arrived at Plan A location....hazy sunshine (🤨), slight drizzle (🙄 - and I'm wearing duvet jacket for warmth rather than waterproof!), howling gale (how to use car as windbreak without obscuring view 🤔)

Going to be a challenge!!!

Helen

It had slipped my mind that it was today - it's been quite a day and my work phone hasn't stopped ringing.  By chance I opened a web news page and saw the coverage.  Memory now jogged.  The sky outside brightened and the sun was out - it was clearly meant to be. 

Grabbed the Lunt, a camera tripod and EP and dashed outside.  No good in the back garden so have to go out to the front - not ideal - hate making a spectacle.  A neighbour asked what I was up to and told me I shouldn't point a telescope at the sun...  Good advice but I quickly explained.

Found a good spot but all a bit wobbly on the tripod. The biting wind not helping but just as I've got it lined up, the same neighbour decides to switch on his (previously out of sight) pressure washer to clean his camper van.  Could see the huge amount of spray heading my way so quickly had to move everything and start again.  Managed to see it from vantage point 2 and now its gone cloudy again.

Maybe I'll get the camera ready for 2032!

• Like 1

In Solihull, there was a lot of broken cloud early in the transit but I managed to get the projection working.  You can just see the silhouette of Mercury in the red circle.

Later the clouds parted and gave a good view.  The other photo was taken with my mobile phone through a Skywatcher 130mm reflector with 20mm EP and solar filter.

Happy bunny here.

Mark

20191111_124422ringed.jpg

20191111_140829crop.jpg

• Like 2