SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New light mount to replace GP for imaging

freiform

Hi,

I seem unable to push my Vixen GP reliably beyond 120s exposures with around 5kg load and a focal length of 430mm. Especially the Dec-axis is giving me trouble I cannot seem to get rid with adjusting the worm. As I wanted a second mount anyway to have one for visual while imaging, I am looking for opinions and experiences.

With weight not being an issue, I would just get an EQ6-R, but I would very much prefer something below around 10kg (head).

Currently I am considering one of the following mounts:

- iOptron CEM25P

- iOptron iEQ30

- SW HEQ-5

Stretching it a bit, I could go for an iOptron CEM40, a Vixen SX2 (which would, bare specs, have to make up for it in quality). Getting fancy, I might start looking for a used Losmandy G8, but on that deal I probably would not want to wait.

As I am currently using a SynScan Kit with the GP, I would feel right at home with EDMOD. Also I think the HEQ-5 is tried and tested, so there should be little to no surprises.

With the CEMs, I would be able to get the best possible weight/load ratio. But I am a bit cautious due to reported quality control issues with iOptron mounts. If you get a good one, they seem to perform very well. Or so the forums know. The iEQ30 is a more traditional design , but still significantly lighter than the HEQ-5 with rather similar load capacity.

Any thoughts on this? Any other recommendations? Currently, I am not planning to put anything beyond 5 to 7kg on the mount. I would like to get a relatively painless experience, using mainly INDO/EKOS, on occasion or if something new pops up also ASCOM and the usual suspects with Windows.

Thanks

Sven

Edited by freiform

Seems to me the HEQ5 would be the best choice for you as it would be a seamless transition. I would get a belt modded one if you do. 

I have to say personally, I have a draw towards the iOptron offerings just now. Part of me wishes I had gone with my instinct as I now seem to have potential issues with the EQ6-R I just bought 

On 10/11/2019 at 21:33, freiform said:

Currently I am considering one of the following mounts:

- iOptron CEM25P

I recently bought the iOptron CEM25-EC (having previously owned an NEQ6-Pro) and I love it! I decided I wanted to spend the extra on EC in the hope that with my preference for short focal length imaging (135mm - 200mm) I would not have to rely on guiding. So far the results have been excellent. I mainly image at 120s or 180s but I have pushed it to 300s and there is still no evidence of star trails. My ageing hands and back also prefer the CEM25 as it is so much lighter and easier to handle than the NEQ6.

Good luck with your deliberations!

Adrian

Another +1 for the CEM25P.

I have owned two EQ3-2's, I have a HEQ5 and belt modded NEQ6. My son wanted to take up astrophotography again after a couple of years away and was considering another SW. On reflection, we (he) went for the iOptron.

It arrived yesterday and first thoughts are it is excellent. He has worked with all my mounts so can compare.

It is very light. (transportable) The alignment adjustments are far superior to SW. The drive engagement is better. Axis are very smooth and light, making balancing easy. When engaged, the axis are more rigid than the HEQ5/NEQ6.

The built-in GPS module is a hundred pound option for the SW.

He got it for an 80mm frac at 500mm fl so fairly similar to your application. Had no time to test yet, due to the weather, but first impressions are all good.

Hope this helps.

Gordon.

I have owned a CEM60EC and it was fantastic, I now own a CEM120EC and it is superb and have just ordered a CEM40EC which I hope to collect at the IAS from Altair, I have owned an HEQ5 Pro and an AZEQ6GT and the iOptron are in a different class compared to the Skywatcher.

I went from NEQ6 Pro (belt modified) to an iOptron EQ45 Pro then to an iOptron CEM60. While I had problems with noise on the CEM60 FLO replaced it without a quibble and the replacement is superb. I'm considering a CEM25P (non EC) as a portable set-up which I want to check out at the IAS.

The HEQ5Pro with Rowan belt mod will eat that 5 to 7 kg weight. And still under a grand!

Or an NEQ6 Pro with belt mod that will give you even more capacity for future expansion. ASCOM and EQMod work out of the box with these two Skywatchers so nothing new to learn.

Thank you all for your input!

while I am still partial to the HEQ5, the CEMs are gaining ground ;). I would go with a non-EC version, as I plan on guiding anyway. While discussing this with my SO the other day, she promted me to eliminate all but two; the HEQ-5 and the CEM40 remained.. and while practically irrelevant (not really ;)) the CEM40 is so much prettier.

But on a more serious note, while EQMOD is really nice to have, I guess iOptrons drivers will work just as well. As far as I can see they work with INDI as well, so all is good. The one drawback of the CEMs is the missing alternative for EQDirect. I really wouldn't mind getting rid of the handcontroller to reduce the clutter. Since I've been using the GP for AP, the SynScan handset is lying in some forgotten box in a dark corner somewhere, and I haven't missed it once.

I would really like for manufacturers to update their mounts with modified boards to allow for easy connection using USB or Ethernet. I guess Skywatcher did it with the EQ6-R, it seems to have a USB-A port now.

The CEM40 also sports a USB-A port, can the handset be ommited and the mount be controlled directly via USB?

@Icesheet Quite a conundrum. I feel like the HEQ-5 would provide a (relatively) safe harbour and the iOptrons as possible gambles, but with potential treasure to win ;)

@Adreneline Adrian, how do you percieve build quality and robustness of the little CEM25?

@Jkulin what aspect of the the CEMs are in another class compared to SW? Handling, performance, build quality?

@Bukko Gordoen, should you get a chance to test teh CEM25P anytime soon, please report!

@fwm891 Francis, are the CEMs supposed to be quiet?

@TerryMcK I would fit the belt mod with the HEQ-5, the EQ6 mounts are too heavy. If I'd go that route, I would probably just get the EQ6-R.

Sven

Edited by freiform

@freiform  Yes. You'll get the odd noise but compared to the SW NEQ6 Pro I had my CEM60 whispers. Beginning and end of slews I get a short grunt as the motors wind up/down. I found that doing nudges from the handset in the 16 to 128? range was the noisiest.

Edited by fwm891

5 minutes ago, freiform said:

Adrian, how do you percieve build quality and robustness of the little CEM25?

Compared with the NEQ6-Pro I find the build quality much higher and the robustness more than adequate for my intended use.

iOptron Commander is easier to use than EQMOD and needing to use the handset is not a problem for me.

HTH

Adrian

Thank you, that is reassuring.

Another point just came up; I am using a pier with a extension that takes Vixen GP level mounts. Looking at the manuals, the CEM25 might fit, but the CEM40 certainly won't (it's screwed to the tripod's head?) Is there an adapter available for that? I would I have to build one or get a new pier?

Sven

2 hours ago, freiform said:

@Jkulin what aspect of the the CEMs are in another class compared to SW? Handling, performance, build quality?

All of those things, everything is so much better than the SW, it is lighter yet carries more, guides so much better little or no backlash and the build quality is superb.

2 hours ago, freiform said:

I really wouldn't mind getting rid of the handcontroller to reduce the clutter.

No need for the hand controller once you have obtained your zero setting, haven't used mine since, except for firmware upgrades..

Edited by Jkulin